This rich and creamy Sweet Potato Curry Stew is full of vegetables, nutrients, and delicious flavor! It’s also so easy to make in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker!
For my regular followers, you are probably not surprised that I have a Vegan Whole30 recipe up today. While I have enjoyed this Whole30 journey and love the sugar detox, I must admit, it can get a little too “meat-y” for me. Because one of my Amy rules for a nutritious life includes eating vegetables with EVERY meal, I have been eating vegetable based lunches and dinners on Whole30. They are some of my favorite dishes! Just making up for those years as a vegetarian where I ate boxed mac and cheese and pasta……… And it’s also my friendly reminder that veggies are the most important part of your Whole30 diet. I’ve had to remind my husband this a few times when he reaches for bacon as a snack!
This super easy curry was something I have been wanting to make since I started Whole30 two weeks ago. I had intentions of doing a regular veggie curry with cauliflower rice, but the consistency turned more into a chunky vegetable stew. Creamy coconut milk with sweet potatoes, ginger, several vegetables, diced tomatoes, spices, and lime juice round out this bowl of deliciousness! I couldn’t quite call it a soup because it is so thick, and if you feel inclined to serve over cauliflower rice, I am sure it would be delicious. Definitely not necessary. What is necessary is the lime juice and fresh cilantro. The sweet potatoes really sweeten the stew, but the acidity from the lime balances this soup out perfectly!
Enjoy this bowl for lunch or dinner. It can be enjoyed up to 5 days after it is made, so it’s perfect to make ahead and eat as a lunch throughout the week. Or you could add it to your dinner rotation for a Meatless Monday idea.
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Sweet Potato Curry Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp thai red curry paste
- 1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk + 1/2 cup
- Juice of 3 limes
- Cilantro for garnish
- For the Instant Pot:
- Begin by selecting the saute function on your Instant Pot. Once hot, add oil and onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion is fragrant and translucent. Add ginger and garlic, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables, and diced tomatoes. Mix in spices, salt and curry paste.
- Slowly fold in coconut milk and continue to mix until everything is well incorporated. Press cancel on your Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid. Select the manual function and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Use a quick release. Open lid once pressure is released, stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- For the Slow Cooker
- Place all vegetables: onion through bell pepper into your slow cooker.
- Mix spices, salt, and paste in a bowl with diced tomatoes. Pour on top of your vegetable mixture. Now mix in the coconut milk.
- Top with the lid and cook for 4 hours on low or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in lime juice and serve with garnished cilantro.