Simple and healthy Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes is an easy dinner recipe that packs in flavor and only takes a few minutes of prep work!
Judging by the popularity of my slow cooker recipes, I know that we all share a common love for the crockpot! Now with my kids in school and fall just around the corner, my schedule is starting to look a bit overwhelming with gazillion activities. Time management will be the key to getting healthy meals on the table!
And by time management, I mean crockpot. Because it manages my time very wisely. I can throw something in it around noon, and take it out around 6:00. That way if we are out and about all afternoon, I’m not worried about how I’ll find the time to prep dinner. Not only is it a time manager, but I’m calling it the money saver and an “avoid takeout” tool as well.
So this recipe. I already told you it’s easy, but let’s talk about the taste. The chicken is nice and tender from the slow cooker, the quinoa cooks close to perfectly, and the added pesto sauce & sun dried tomatoes give the dish flavor. And GREAT flavor. You can use a homemade pesto like my Spinach Pesto, or not, store bought is also fine. No one is judging or giving out gold stars.
I also added in something else here: fresh green beans. It was not the original intent, but both my husband and I agreed that it needed some more texture when we tried it. The green beans are sautéed in a pan with olive oil over medium high heat for right around 8 minutes. Add salt and lemon pepper to give it the right amount of flavor. Another vegetable option for this dish would be asparagus, but I just happened to have fresh green beans in the fridge. It all turned out perfectly!
To serve, I piled everything together in a bowl, and added fresh basil and parmesan cheese. Dress to your tastes! This would also taste delicious over salad greens, or maybe in a wrap.
Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 3/4 cup or 6 oz pesto
- 4 oz jarred sun dried tomatoes drained and rinsed from the oil
- 8 oz fresh green beans stems removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese optional
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Place chicken breasts, 4 cups broth, and quinoa into a slow cooker. Set to low and let cook for 3-4 hours. Until chicken is fork tender and quinoa completely cooked.
- Slowly mix in 1 additional cup of chicken broth and gently mix. Add in pesto and sun dried tomatoes, carefully coating the entire mixture.
- Heat up a skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil and green beans. Cook green beans for approximately 8 minutes. They should be tender, but still crispy. Sprinkle with lemon pepper and salt.
- Toss green beans with chicken and quinoa.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh basil and/or parmesan cheese