This hearty Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup is made so easily in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. A flavorful tomato and red wine broth is combined with sautéed veggies, Italian sausage, tortellini, and kale. A healthy and delicious weeknight dinner that is sure to warm you up on a chilly evening!
There are a few things I most definitely love during cold weather: easy soups and a soup loaded with veggies and Italian sausage! My Sausage and Gnocchi Soup and this particular Soup with Sausage and Tortellini are two of my favorite recipes. They are loved by my family, too!
As a nutritionist, I am always balancing the game of healthy meals that taste delicious, but still have elements of vegetables and protein. A hearty soup is such an easy way to accomplish this! This particular soup includes diced zucchini and carrots, fresh or frozen kale, and fresh basil on top. The pillowy tortellini just adds such a nice texture and elevates the soup to just the right level.
Ingredients to Make this Sausage Tortellini Soup
Let’s gather up these easy ingredients!
- Italian Sausage: a must for the flavor profile. You can do a few different types of sausage here: turkey or chicken sausage. You can also do a spicy Italian sausage (my personal recommendation!)
- Vegetables: diced onion, garlic, carrots, and zucchini. You can also substitute these vegetables with bell pepper or mushroom. But really, any veggies work!
- Canned San Marzano Whole Tomatoes: these are the highest quality tomatoes and also give the broth a perfect flavor.
- Italian Seasoning and Salt: We’re combining dried thyme, basil, and oregano if you need to separate.
- Broth and red wine: I love the addition of red win with chicken broth here. It adds just the right kick of flavor and depth. You can really use any red wine!
- Tortellini: I used fresh tortellini, but frozen also works!
- Kale: Use frozen or fresh!
- Parmesan Cheese and Basil: These are just optional additions, but are also great flavor enhancers.
How to make this soup in the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot!
This soup cooked beautifully in the slow cooker, but did require a few minutes of prep time before hand. Saute the onion and sausage separately, then add the remaining veggies and broth. You will not add the kale or tortellini until the very end, that way those ingredients hold their firmer texture.
For the Instant Pot, you don’t even need a separate pot. You can set the Instant Pot to sauté, and cook the sausage and onion before adding the remaining ingredients.
For a Gluten-Free version, use beans instead of tortellini. I have done this a few times while the husband is away, and liked it even more!
Both of my kids loved this and the husband said it tasted even better the second day. So yes, you will have plenty of leftovers. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This hearty Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup is made so easily in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker. A flavorful tomato and red wine broth is combined with sautéed veggies, Italian sausage, tortellini, and kale.
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage or whatever sausage you would like
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes I love the Organic San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 32 oz of chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 8 oz cheese tortellini frozen or fresh
- 1 cup kale frozen or fresh
- Fresh basil to serve
For the Slow Cooker:
Cook turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat in a large saucepan
Place inside slow cooker.
Add carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, broth, wine, water, and Italian seasoning.
Cook on low for 4 hours
Add the kale and tortellini and cook for another 30 – 45 minutes.
For the Instant Pot:
Select the saute function on your IP. Once hot, add avocado or olive oil. Toss in chopped onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes and add sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, or until sausage is almost cooked. Select cancel.
Now add tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, chicken broth, water, wine, spices, and kale (if frozen, if using fresh add after the pressure cooking). Secure the lid. Select the manual function, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Use a quick release. Select cancel. Open lid and add in tortellini (add kale if using fresh kale). Select the saute function, and cook tortellini for 3-4 minutes.