Skillet browned tofu and veggies cooked in a sweet and sour sauce make this a tasty and nutrient packed dinner!
Meatless dinners are my personal favorite night (or nights) of the week. Truth be told, if my husband and kids weren’t such meat lovers, I would gladly revert back to my vegetarian days! Because they love chicken and beef, I do my best to make any meatless meal incredibly tasty. This one was a big hit last week, even if not everyone in the family are big fans of tofu. The trick to this meal was to brown the tofu and veggies, and give it plenty of flavor with a homemade sauce. Another perk of this meal, was dinner was done in less than 30 minutes!
So to get started with this meal, pick your veggies (or use my recommendations). I threw together sweet potatoes, edamame, bell pepper, and mushrooms. I knew that with plenty of sweet potatoes and edamame, the family would be excited. My kids often pick out foods they don’t like in a particular meal, and I just let them be. To make dinner time stress-free, I don’t tell my kids how much or what they have to eat. I just put the plate of food out there, and let them do with it what they want. More often than not, they get in plenty of nutrients and at least some vegetables.
I cut my sweet potatoes and tofu into small(ish) squares:
I begin by browning them first, before adding the rest of the vegetables. While this was happening, I threw together a simple sauce and started some rice. After about 15 minutes, I tossed in the remaining veggies and let them cook for another 7 minutes or so. I finally added in the sauce, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes until it was ready to eat:
Love the gorgeous vegetables! I topped with sesame seeds and served over brown rice.
Sweet and Sour Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry
- 3 tbsp sesame oil divided
- 16 oz firm organic tofu
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup edamame beans I use frozen ones that are already prepped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Tamari Soy Sauce GF
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Heat up a large skillet or wok to medium high heat, and add 2 tbsp sesame oil.
- Prepare your tofu and sweet potatoes: peel sweet potatoes, and cut into 1 inch size chunks/squares. Cut tofu into squares. Add both to the heated skillet, reduce heat to medium. Cook tofu and potatoes for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until tofu is lightly golden on all sides. Add garlic and ginger.
- While tofu and sweet potatoes are cooking, whisk together remaining sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, chili sauce, vinegar, and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Add remaining vegetables to the skillet. Cook for another 7 minutes.
- Finally add in sauce, and let the entire skillet get completely coated. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately over rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds.