Sweet Potato Nachos have all the indulgent flavor of nachos, without the guilt! Oven roasted sweet potatoes meet black beans, cheddar cheese, cilantro, tomato, green onions and are smothered in delicious guacamole for an easy, kid-friendly, meatless meal.
Confession time. Nachos are my ultimate favorite junk food. If there is ever an appetizer that I could just devour as a main course, it’s nachos. When it comes to a great baseball game on TV or the Super Bowl, and I’m in the mood for some comfort food, nachos are it! I have tried to lighten up my indulgence so I can actually eat them more on a regular basis.
Insert….. sweet potatoes. What I love about this recipe is it certainly satisfies my craving, but packs in the nutrients. The black beans provide plenty of protein and iron, and the sweet potatoes add plenty of vitamin A, beta carotene, potassium, several of the B Vitamins, and manganese to name a few. Another awesome fact in the nutrition department, is that sweet potatoes provide plenty of satiety to make you feel full. Even more so than regular tortilla chips!
Oh, and this is Miss Carbivore’s favorite vegetarian meal. She loves Mexican food like her mama, but she also can eat sweet potatoes any time of day. These are a simple idea for a weeknight meal because it’s a low maintenance meal.
Start off by slicing your sweet potatoes vertically, into thin discs like below:
I mixed together salt, cumin, and melted coconut oil and brush the sweet potatoes generously. Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 20 minutes. Prepare your toppings while this is roasting. Once the sweet potatoes are soft and slightly crispy, add the beans and cheese. Roast for only a few minutes so that the cheese bubbles and turns a slightly golden brown color. Remove from the oven, and top with everything you love! I used my 1 minute guacamole and dinner was ready!
Other fun ideas with this recipe: serve on top of a bowl of Spanish rice, or roll up into a tortilla if you are unsure if your family will eat the sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Nachos
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado mashed or use my Easy 1-Minute Guacamole
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Prepare your sweet potatoes: Peel off the skin, and slice sweet potatoes vertically into thin discs, approximately 1/4 inch (see above picture).
- Melt your coconut oil, and brush each side of the sweet potatoes with oil. Sprinkle with cumin and salt.
- Bake sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until they are softened, and the edges are dark brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle black beans and cheese on top of the sweet potatoes. Place back into oven and bake for another 3-5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining ingredients (avocado or guacamole last).
- Serve hot!