The perfect compliment to your Mexican side dishes! This Cauliflower Spanish Rice is full of flavor and super easy to make!
It’s hard for me to enjoy my taco bowls, or fajitas without the addition of rice. I love a good taco salad, but sometimes I want that extra texture and flavor of rice all mixed in. I love that I could use cauliflower rice as the perfect substitute! This cauliflower rice comes together with a few simple ingredients: cauliflower (duh), onion, garlic, cumin, salt, tomato paste, and vegetable or chicken broth. Add in some additional fresh cilantro, jalapeño, or lime for an even tastier treat!
My first recipe in the new house! Let me be real about this recipe you guys. I’ve been trying for 5 days now to make this dish, photograph it, and blog about so you can have it as the perfect addition to your Sheet Pan Chipotle Cilantro Chicken Fajitas. But life has gotten in the way. Moving during a snow storm and having your kids home from school for 5 days continuing to add messes to any progress you have made, has made things rather…….difficult. But alas, on this Friday afternoon, I bring you Cauliflower Spanish Rice.
Taco Tuesday is going to be so much better with the addition of this rice. In fact, I have leftover turkey taco meat from a few days ago that has worked perfectly! Top with cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, and some extra greens and BOOM. Super easy, healthy dinner for the win!! I also want to share with you a bit of a shortcut for this recipe. I use Trader Joe’s frozen organic cauliflower rice, and this variation is even easier. All about the shortcuts.
Cauliflower Spanish Rice
- 1 large head of cauliflower*
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Cut your cauliflower in half and in half again. Remove stem and discard. Chop the head of the cauliflower into chunks (1-2 inch pieces). Place inside a food processor and pulse. You probably need to do this in 2-3 batches. Between each batch, remove and set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in riced cauliflower, salt, and cumin. Stir around the veggie mixture to coat.
- Add in tomato paste, then 1/4 cup broth, and bump up heat to medium high. continue to stir around until the tomato paste dissolves in the mixture. If the mixture is too dry, add in more broth by the tablespoon. If the mixture is slightly wet, continue to cook until the liquid dissolves.
- Serve hot with garnished cilantro and added salt to taste.
*You can also use the 12 oz bag of frozen Trader Joe's in place of the head of cauliflower.