This simple Buffalo Chicken Chowder is a set it and forget it meal the whole family will love! Packed with veggies, protein, and flavor, this easy soup is bound to be a new favorite for busy weeknights! Dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
Buffalo sauce is kind of my favorite condiment. It basically has the two things I love: spicy cayenne pepper and the tang of vinegar. I don’t even like hot chicken wings (not on board with those whatsoever), but am 100% on board and in love with buffalo flavored anything (else)! And especially in love with this buffalo flavored soup. So for all of my hot wing loving friends, this one is for you!
With the holiday season in full swing, and football taking over our television, this soup makes a simple no-brainer. Besides the delicious taste, I love how easy it is to make! So I’ve made this a few times over the past month, and have tweaked it so it’s just right. I use coconut milk as the “cream” base to make it a chowder, but if not following a strict dairy-free diet, half and half can also be used. I promise that between the buffalo sauce and vegetable flavors, there is…..Wait for it……
NO COCONUT TASTE!!
In fact, my husband couldn’t tell the difference between the two variations.
I used 1 cup buffalo sauce the first time I made this, and my 10 year old claimed she couldn’t handle the spice (she is generally pretty good with spice). She is my cue to tame it down. The next time around we tried 3/4 cup, and it worked nicely. Feel free to drop it to 1/2, but if using the coconut milk you do run the risk of that coconut taste. Finally, potatoes seemed like an obvious starch to add to this hearty soup. Feel free to change this up as well, or omit completely.
This would make the perfect soup for a healthy super bowl meal, or even for a tailgate. And as I mentioned above, this one is kind of a no-brainer for me for an an easy weeknight dish.
Enjoy, my friends!
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chowder
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1.5 cups diced potatoes*
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup buffalo hot sauce I use Frank's
- 2/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk or half and half
- 1/4 cup cilantro for garnish optional
- For the Slow Cooker:
- Place chicken breast at the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, and buffalo sauce.
- Cook on low for 4 hours (up to 6 hours, may depend on potatoes for slow cooker).
- Remove lid and stir in coconut milk (or half and half). Serve with cilantro for garnish.
- For the Instant Pot:
- Set your instant Pot to saute. Add a bit of oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Now add in onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Select cancel.
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, and buffalo sauce on top of the chicken. Now add chicken broth. Secure the lid.
- Select the manual function on your IP, and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Use a natural quick release (place a kitchen towel over the valve to prevent a mess. Once steam is completely released, remove lid.
- Add coconut milk or half and half. Top with fresh cilantro and serve!
Recipe Notes*I use Yukon gold potatoes cut into small pieces (less than half inch). You can also use russet potatoes