This Paleo Blueberry Lemon Cake makes a delicious addition to a weekend brunch, breakfast treat, or dessert! Moist and flavorful with a light lemon syrup. No one will ever know this recipe is grain-free, and refined sugar free!
Anyone else in brunch mode? That’s one of the best things about spring!! I can’t say that I do brunch all that often at my house, but I recently went to one of my favorite local restaurants for brunch. By myself I might add. But no worries, I had my computer and some work to do. While I do not have a sweet tooth in the mornings, the waitress was trying to tempt me with a very tasty looking Blueberry Lemon Cake. It was very tempting, but I took a nice peek at the cake and thought I could easily turn that into something healthier!!
And voila!!! This cake was born!
That happens quite often actually. I get my inspiration for tasty looking and sounding meals that might not be all that nutritious for us, and turn it into a healthy masterpiece! Not always…..Haha! Sometimes they are disasters. But this one, is soooooo not a disaster….. Fresh blueberries team up with some fresh lemon juice and zest to give this cake all the flavor. Almond flour and coconut flour provide the base for this grain free treat that is sweetened with only honey and some blueberries!
You’ll love it, I’m sure. And it’s super easy. I say that often, but let me tell you, time consuming meals are not my jam. I just mixed my wet ingredients with the dry, with a minimal mess. I used a 9inch cake pan where I spread half the batter, topped with some blueberries, and then topped with another layer. That allows the blueberries to be all over this cake, top and bottom!! I also did a lemon syrup on the top, that is kind of optional, but totally necessary!
Bake for your mom for Mother’s Day, or for yourself if your a mama 🙂 I might need to let my 9 year old recreate this for me on that special day. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!!
Paleo Blueberry Lemon Cake
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups almond flour blanched if possible
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk I use flax milk
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries
- For the Lemon Syrup:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan, and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Whisk together your wet ingredients: lemon juice, coconut oil, honey, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry, mix well.
- Spoon and spread half of the cake batter on the bottom of your pan. Top with 2/3 cup blueberries. Add the remaining batter, spread so that it's even across the blueberries, and top with remaining blueberries.
- Place in the oven, bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden and cake is cooked through (may need an additional few minutes). Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To make the glaze, mix together lemon juice, coconut oil, zest, and honey. Gently spoon over cake. Serve at room temperature. Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator.