Watermelon, Blueberries, Apples, Feta, and a fresh lemon mint dressing combine to make this a refreshing summer salad that is perfect for a Patriotic Celebration!
A little personal note: I have America on my mind. In just a few short weeks we’ll be celebrating America’s birthday in America for the first time in 5 years. I. Cannot. Wait. So excited for parade time, the pool, a neighborhood BBQ with friends, and fabulous food. I’ve been trying some new recipes for the upcoming celebration, and this one is definitely one I want to share with you!
Summer time and gatherings are a perfect occasion for light salads that the whole family will enjoy. If your kids are anything like mine, they can eat their weight in watermelon. They were thrilled when this was part of dinner the other night! I’ve combined watermelon, apples, and blueberries here for the red/white/blue color scheme. I’ve added in feta to give the salad a bit of salt to contrast the sweet lemon and mint dressing. It’s perfect and sure to be a crowd pleaser! This can also be made earlier in the day. I would recommend keeping the feta and fresh mint off the salad until it’s getting closer to serving time (within a few hours).
Watermelon and Blueberry Salad with Feta
- 5 lb Seedless Watermelon
- 1/2 lb blueberries
- 2 medium sized apples
- 1/2 cup crumbled or cubed feta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lemon about 2-3 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Begin by preparing the fruit: : Chop up the watermelon into 1-inch cubes and place into a large bowl or trifle. Rinse and dry the blueberries and add to the watermelon. Peel and core your apple, chop into small cubes or pieces (about 1/2 inch).
- Add feta and chopped fresh mint.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together honey, lemon, and vinegar.
- Pour over top of the salad, and toss together to make sure the fruit is evenly coated.
Salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Feta and mint should be added later (less than 2 hours before serving).