Chai Banana Bread Bars with chocolate chips are here for you when you want an afternoon snack to be more of a dessert. Or when you want your dessert to symbolize a healthy snack. But let’s be honest, you can enjoy them for breakfast! Paleo, Grain-Free, kid friendly, simple to make, and absolutely delicious. Less than 25 minutes of bake time!
Chai Banana Bread Bars: a healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert!
File these amazing squares under healthy enough to fly as an afternoon snack, wholesome enough to provide both nutrition and yumminess in your kids’ lunchbox, and decadent enough to satisfy your sweet tooth for dessert! Basically, these Chai Banana Bread bars are everything.
You’ll love the banana bread base with some added spices to give it that cozy chai flavor. The chocolate chips?!?! They are just icing on the cake! I absolutely love the way they pair with the cardamom. I also used cashew butter in here to give it an extra gooey and amazing texture.
As a nutritionist, I strive to create a healthy balance in our house of tasty treats and nutrient dense foods. These easily can be both! Loaded with healthy fats and fiber, making it a great option for kids.
My kids are pretty crazy about these. They have been gobbled up after dinner and have provided a good after school snack. My favorite part is that it’s a fun twist on banana bread that is easier to bake and easier to eat!
Let’s get started!
How to make Chai Banana Bread Bars:
Gather up these simple ingredients:
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- baking soda
- ground ginger
- ripened bananas
- coconut sugar
- cashew butter
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients! Most of it is spices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper (I like to do a sling that goes over the edges and makes it easy to pull out)
- You will mix together the dry ingredients: flours, spices, and baking soda in one bowl. Using an stand mixer or hand mixer, mix the wet ingredients: egg, mashed bananas, cashew butter, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- Mix together the dry ingredients with the wet and beat until smooth or no dry pockets remain.
- Now fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Spread the batter over a baking pan and smooth. Transfer to the oven and bake for 22-24 minutes or until the center is lightly firm and golden brown.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing into 16 equal squares. You can speed up the process by placing in the fridge and cooling off quicker.
Serving and Storing:
Serve warm or at room temperature. If you plan on eating these right away, you can keep in an air tight container at room temperature. Or store in the fridge for up to one week.
Another option, place in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Recipe Adaptations/Ingredient Swaps:
- Cashew Butter: You can use any nut butter here, almond butter is also a great option!
- Chocolate Chips: You can omit the chocolate chips for a less chocolate-y variation. I would add 1 tbsp coconut sugar if you are going this route for a tad bit more of sweetness.
- Cardamom and ginger: these spices are in there for a chai flavor, but you can easily omit!
- Walnuts: feel free to omit the walnuts altogether or swap in with pecans.
Other Banana Bread Treats you will enjoy!
- Banana Bread Blondies with Walnut Streusel
- Paleo Morning Glory Bread
- Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Chai Banana Bread Bars
Chai Banana Bread Bars are the perfect breakfast, snack, or treat! So much delicious flavor in each moist square, and sprinkled with chocolate chips. Paleo and Gluten-Free!
- 1.5 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 1/3 cup smooth cashew butter*
- 2 medium ripened bananas (mashed)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips**
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, creating a sling to go up the sides. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: both flours, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, and sea salt.
Using an electric mixer, beat together the egg, cashew butter, bananas, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth. Mix in the dry ingredients and beat, until no dry pockets remain.
Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Transfer to the oven.
Bake for 22-24 minutes until the middle is lightly firm and the top is golden brown. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing into equal squares.
*You can swap out with another nut butter in place of cashew butter
**Use Lily Chocolate Chips or Enjoy Life chocolate chips for a dairy-free and Paleo friendly recipe.