A one pan skillet meal that is so simple to make, everything cooks together perfectly! Nutritious, light, and perfect for Taco Tuesday or even a hearty lunch.
I have introduced Taco Tuesday to Meatless Monday, and they are now a great pair! I love this vegetarian version of tacos that is so filling, and absolutely delicious. I mean, look at that bubbly cheese. What could be possibly be wrong with this dish? Nothing, absolutely nothing. Recently with the hunky husband out of town, I was craving some Mexican bean type dish. Remember I told you he hates beans? We eat them like crazy when he’s gone; my kids love them and I love to make complete meatless meals that are filling. I didn’t dare mess with their favorite Taco Tuesday, so we had this 2 days in a row.
The kids were thrilled to eat this 2 days in a row. I also wrapped the contents of this dish in a flour tortilla for them, so there is that. Me? I just enjoyed with a ton of fresh cilantro, chopped avocado, fresh tomatoes, and green onions in a large bowl. I was also able to pack with me a nice portion for lunch at the beach. I shared with my friend, she loved it too. So you can see, this one pan skillet will make a nice amount!
So back to this one pan thing. What made this dish easy was my large cast iron skillet. Everything was cooked together. I first sautéed the onion, pepper, garlic, and corn. Then I threw in canned tomatoes, black beans, quinoa, taco seasoning, and broth. The taco seasoning can be your favorite store bought seasoning, or a homemade variation below in the recipe. Whatever you choose!
When the quinoa was nice and fluffy, I topped with some shredded pepper jack cheese. I then stuck in the oven for five minutes until bubbly and perfect! The cheese is optional, but kind of necessary.
Cheesy Black Bean and Corn Quinoa Taco Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium sized white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning*
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese optional
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Begin by heating your oven to 425 degrees.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and corn. Cook for 5-7 minutes until fragrant, and the onion is translucent.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, beans, taco seasoning, and broth. Stir to mix all together. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low (simmer). Keep covered for about 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed the liquid and is nice and fluffy.
- Squeeze lime juice over the top of the quinoa. Top with pepperjack cheese (if using), and place in the over for 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Serve hot with sliced avocado or fresh cilantro (if using).
*You can use your favorite store bought taco seasoning (my personal favorite is Trader Joe's), or use a homemade variation: 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch of cayenne pepper.