Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are just like the real deal delicious cookies you love! The only difference, we’re making these in bar form without grains and refined sugar. You will be shocked at the amazing texture, and absolute decadence of these bars!
I have reached that point in the year where I want a delicious and warm chocolate chip cookie, but without the added stress of screwing up a batch of cookies. Can anyone relate? You form the perfect shaped cookie on a baking sheet, but sometimes you overcook or undercook. Or they bake differently because you accidentally created different sized cookies. For the record, I do not worry about these things when brownies are involved…..
So here is the solution…. Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars!!! Baked liked a brownie and so much easier. Also, in case you are wondering, without question they are just as delicious as your favorite chocolate chip cookie!
Although I am a huge fan of my Paleo Brookies (Brownies + Chocolate Chip Cookies), this time I wanted just a chocolate chip. In a healthy, no-grain, no refined sugar kind of way but with all the taste of a classic chocolate chip cookie! It’s definitely possible. As a nutritionist, I love taking my favorite classic desserts and making them healthier!
Grab your favorite milk to wash it down, and let’s get started!
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars:
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Blanched almond flour
- Tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Coconut oil (room temperature)
- Cashew butter
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips (use unsweetened or Paleo/Vegan/Dairy-free Chocolate Chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a separate larger bowl (or use a stand mixer), beat together the coconut oil, cashew butter, egg, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined and no flour pockets remain. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Prepare an 8×8 pan by lightly spraying with non-stick spray, then create a sling with parchment paper.
- Spread the cookie mixture into the prepared pan using a spatula. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
It should be lightly firm to the touch, but still appear soft. Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing into bars!
Tips and Adaptations:
- Flour: Do not substitute the blanched almond flour, it will not turn out the same. You can swap in arrowroot starch or coconut flour for the tapioca flour.
- Double the recipe! You can double the recipe using a 9×13 inch pan. The bars should bake right around 30-32 minutes (depends on the oven)
- Nut butter: you can swap in almond butter in place of cashew butter, or nut butter of choice!
- Vegan variation: Feel free to use a flax egg in place of an egg for a Vegan recipe.
Store these delicious bars at room temperature in a covered container for 2-3 days. My favorite way to store is in the freezer in an air tight container for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature for about 20 minutes before enjoying .
Other healthy desserts you will love!
- Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Bars
- Chai Banana Bread Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars (No-Bake!)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are healthy, delicious, and so easy to make! Less than 30 minutes is all you need.
- 1.5 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips*
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8×8 square baking dish by spraying with non-stick spray and lining with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: both flours, baking soda, and sea salt.
In a larger bowl, use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat together the wet ingredients: coconut oil, cashew butter, coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
Pour in the dry ingredients to the wet. Fold in chocolate chips.
Using a spatula, spread the dough mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool for 15-20 minutes. Then cut into even bars.
*Use dairy-free, unsweetened, or refined sugar free chocolate chips for a Paleo variation. Lily’s, Choc Zero, or Enjoy Life are good options.