This delicious Creamy Lemon Chicken is prepared in a skillet and sautéed with mushrooms and asparagus. Full of flavor, but also dairy free using coconut milk as the cream base. Serve with rice, pasta, or zoodles for a complete healthy dinner that the whole family will enjoy!
*This recipe has been updated with new pictures! Same great taste, but the pictures are much prettier!
I’m gonna be honest with you guys on this dish; it was really hard to photograph. I am not quite skilled in food photography (but getting better with practice) and I struggled with this one. I almost didn’t post it because I wasn’t happy with my photos, but I couldn’t bring myself to to nix it. Know why? Because it’s really really really good. I told my husband I wasn’t so sure about posting it, and he was adamant that I must share with the world because he loved it so much. So just trust me on this one, and try it out! No more worries about the yucky pictures because after almost 2 years, I finally posted new ones! And phew, I feel so much better about thee new ones…….
As mentioned above, this is a creamy dish. But instead of butter and cream, I used coconut milk and coconut oil. Coconut oil and milk are better alternatives to heavy cream and butter. Although they have high saturated fat content, they are much healthier source of fat than most saturated fat because they contain medium-chain triglycerides (also called MCT’s). I don’t want to get too scienc-y on you, but let me just share with you the difference between MCT saturated fats and other common saturated fats (such as vegetable oils, animal fats, etc.) MCTs are sent directly to your liver and are quickly converted into energy as opposed to being stored as fat. This also creates less stress on the digestive system and does not require special enzymes to break down. So don’t be turned off by the saturated fat content! Surprisingly, the coconut taste in this dish is nonexistent. But, if you are really scared of that part, you can always use half and half or cream as your base (but remember that these saturated fats behave differently and are not as beneficial like our MCTs).
So back to the dish 🙂 I started off by heating up some coconut oil in a skillet. I sautéed each chicken breast for a few minutes on each side (they will not be cooked through), set aside. You may need to add a bit more coconut oil, and add your mushrooms, garlic, and asparagus to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the asparagus is nice and crispy, and the mushrooms are fragrant and soft:
Now add the chicken back to the skillet. Place coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind with the chicken. Heat up the pan to medium high heat, cover. After the mixture begins to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer altogether until the chicken is cooked through (about 5-8 minutes).
Serve immediately with zoodles, rice, or pasta. I loved zoodles with this recipe, both my kids and husband enjoyed with rice.
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 8 medium sized asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup coconut milk the canned stuff, you can use light or full fat
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Begin by heating up a large skillet to medium-medium high heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Place chicken in pan, heat about 3 minutes per side, and set aside (chicken will not be cooked through).
- Add remaining coconut oil if needed. Toss in crushed garlic, asparagus, and mushrooms.
- Saute until asparagus is crispy, and mushrooms are soft and fragrant (about 10 minutes)
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add in coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind.
- With the skillet on medium high heat, cover. Wait until the mixture bubbles, then lower to medium low. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Salt to taste and serve with rice, pasta, or zoodles.