This delicious Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms is prepared in a skillet and ready in less than 30 minutes. Full of flavor, but also dairy free using coconut milk as the cream base. Serve with rice, pasta, or zoodles for a complete healthy dinner that the whole family will enjoy! Paleo, Whole30, and Keto.
Reasons you will love this Skillet Creamy Lemon Chicken!
Easy, healthy, and delicious dinners are exactly what I love making on a busy weeknight. As a nutritionist who is super busy with kids in various activities, I need to be able to hit all of three of these on any given weeknight. This particular recipe is the perfect springtime recipe in every single way. Here are all the reasons why I love it:
- Loaded with asparagus; my favorite spring time vegetable!
- So decadent delicious with a lemon creamy sauce
- Made without dairy and a much healthier way of enjoying a comfort food recipe!
- One pan meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes
A light and hearty meal full of nutrients!
As mentioned above, this is a creamy dish. But instead of butter and cream, I used coconut milk and coconut oil. Coconut oil and milk are better alternatives to heavy cream and butter. Although they have high saturated fat content, they are much healthier source of fat than most saturated fat because they contain medium-chain triglycerides (also called MCT’s).
I don’t want to get too scienc-y on you, but let me just share with you the difference between MCT saturated fats and other common saturated fats (such as vegetable oils, animal fats, etc.) MCTs are sent directly to your liver and are quickly converted into energy as opposed to being stored as fat. This also creates less stress on the digestive system and does not require special enzymes to break down.
How to make Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms:
- Start off by heating up some coconut oil in a skillet. Sauté each chicken breast for a few minutes on each side (they will not be cooked through), set aside.
- You may need to add a bit more coconut oil, and add your mushrooms, garlic, and asparagus to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the asparagus is nice and crispy, and the mushrooms are fragrant and soft.
- Now add the chicken back to the skillet. Place coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind with the chicken. Heat up the pan to medium high heat, cover.
- After the mixture begins to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer altogether until the chicken is cooked through (about 5-8 minutes).
Serving and Storing:
Serve immediately with zoodles, rice, or pasta. I loved zoodles with this recipe, both my kids and husband enjoyed with rice. You can also serve with the following side dishes:
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Easy House Salad
- Roasted Brussels sprouts Salad with Mustard Basil Vinaigrette
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Be sure to rate the recipe below and comment if you make it! Also, tag me on Instagram @wholesomelicious with your creations. I love to see them!
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Asparagus and Mushrooms is a healthy, easy, and delicious dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes! Recipe is also dairy-free, Paleo, Keto, and Whole30.
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 8 medium sized asparagus spears cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup coconut milk the canned stuff, you can use light or full fat
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
Begin by heating up a large skillet to medium-medium high heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp coconut oil.
Place chicken in pan, heat about 3 minutes per side, and set aside (chicken will not be cooked through).
Add remaining coconut oil if needed. Toss in crushed garlic, asparagus, and mushrooms.
Saute until asparagus is crispy, and mushrooms are soft and fragrant (about 10 minutes)
Return the chicken to the pan. Add in coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon rind.
With the skillet on medium high heat, cover. Wait until the mixture bubbles, then lower to medium low. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Salt to taste and serve with rice, pasta, or zoodles.