Instant Pot Egg Bites come together in less than 30 minutes for an easy meal prep, and make ahead breakfast! You’ll be amazed at how easy these are to make. Tastier and cheaper than buying at your local Starbucks! These protein-packed egg bites are Keto friendly and low carb with a dairy-free option!
Meal prep breakfast for the win!
Meal prepping for easy and healthy breakfasts on the weekend is always a good idea. I usually try to make one recipe ahead, so that on those hectic school mornings, breakfast is a breeze! A few of my go-to’s are actually not egg breakfast recipes (Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Bake, Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Bake, and Maple Banana Nut Breakfast Skillet).
BUT….. When a reader reached out to me on Instagram to suggest a Copycat Starbucks Egg Bite Recipe, I was all over it. Almost immediately! Considering this just happened 3 days ago.
I was especially excited because as as Nutritionist, I am always getting asked for easy portable, protein-packed, and delicious breakfasts! This one satisfies all of this.
What are Egg Bites?
If you’ve been to Starbucks at any point in the last 5 years, you may have noticed these fluffy egg bites of perfection. Usually with different flavors: bacon and gruyere, red pepper and basil, an egg white variation, and more. All made Sous vide style to get that spongy texture.
They make a perfect grab and go, healthy breakfast. I have had my share while traveling through an airport!
It’s also simple to make these without having a sous vide tool. Instead, you can easily use the Instant Pot, or use the oven. I’ll show you exactly how it works!
How to make Egg Bites in the Instant Pot:
Here is what we need to make Instant Pot Egg Bites:
- Eggs: You can also do an all egg white option
- Heavy Cream: You can also lighten these up a bit and use cottage cheese or greek yogurt
- Gruyere cheese: this can also be substituted with white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or even pepper jack cheese for a Mexican flair.
- Bacon: Feel free to swap out with sausage or ham
- Red bell pepper: I did use this for one variation and I loved it!
- Basil: for garnish
This recipe honestly comes together super easily! You will need an Instant Pot and silicone egg pan for the Instant Pot.
- Cook the bacon on the stovetop to desired crispiness. Mine takes about 7 minutes total. Set aside. Crumble when cooled.
- In a blender or food processor, add the eggs, heavy cream, and cheese. Blend until well combined and frothy. About 1 minute.
- Spray the silicone molds with a non-stick spray. Equally pour the egg mixture into each silicone cup mold, add crumbled bacon. Cover the silicone egg cups with foil.
- Pour 1-2 cups of water in the bottom of the instant pot. Place the trivet on top of the water. Secure the lid of the instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining steam.
- Remove the silicone mold using pot holders. Let cool for a few minutes, then remove egg bites from the mold.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes, you definitely can! I prefer the Instant Pot method. In fact, I had two failed versions before these came out right.
You will still want to use a silicone mold for the egg cups. Fill a large casserole dish halfway with water. Place the silicone mold inside the baking dish, and cover the mold with foil. Bake at 325 for about 35-40 minutes.
For more of a frittata, or mini quiche variation, you can also pour inside a mini muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees (without the water in a casserole dish).
Adaptations and flavors:
- Dairy-Free: You can make these dairy-free. They will not have the same fluffy/spongy texture, but you still get the egg protein bites. Use 3/4 cup dairy-free milk (I used coconut milk), add in 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, and some fresh herbs.
- Cottage cheese: you can use cottage cheese in place of heavy whipping cream. This adds in some more protein. I prefer the texture with the cream, but cottage cheese is still a great option!
- Red Pepper: I love the addition of chopped red bell pepper with some pepper jack cheese in place of gruyere!
- Broccoli: Finely chopped broccoli is also fun with some feta or white cheddar.
- Herbs/Spinach: Fresh herbs and spinach taste delicious and add in some greens. I love using basil and cilantro!
Make ahead breakfasts:
These are perfect to make ahead on the weekend and enjoy throughout the week! I would have to recommend pairing this with a breakfast that has some fiber in it, just to have a nice balance.
Here are a few suggestions:
Instant Pot Egg Bites
Instant Pot Egg Bites come together so easily in less than 30 minutes! This meal prep breakfast is a copycat variation of Starbucks Egg Bites.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (shredded)
- pinch of sea salt
Begin by cooking the bacon in a skillet until desired crispiness. Set aside and cool. Once cooled, crumble into pieces.
In a blender or food processor, blend eggs, cream, and cheese. Blend until creamy and cheese is well incorporated (about 30 seconds to a minute). Add in a pinch of sea salt.
Lightly grease the silicone molds with a non-stick spray. Pour the egg mixture into each individual cup until almost full. Evenly add the bacon to each cup. Cover the mold with foil.
Add 1-2 cups of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the wire trivet inside, add the silicone egg cup on top of the trivet. Secure the Instant Pot lid.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once cook time is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes, then release any additional steam. Remove the mold with pot holders. Let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes, then remove from the mold and enjoy.