Step up your Taco Tuesday in the healthiest way with this Instant Pot Ground Turkey Taco Soup! You will love how simple this recipe is to throw together in the Instant Pot for an easy weeknight meal. Recipe is Paleo, Whole30, and Keto friendly!
Why Turkey Taco Soup?
This loaded Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup will transform your taco skills in the winter. Feeling under the weather? Turkey Taco Soup will help you out. Feeling pressed for time? Turkey Taco Soup can assist you with this easy, less than 30 minute, hands off meal. Need some healthy lunch inspiration? You guessed it, Turkey Taco soup to the rescue!!!
As a nutritionist, I know that a soup loaded with nutrients is exactly what we need during the winter months. With one of my kids under the weather on a cold day shortly after the new year, I knew this Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup was exactly what we needed! Plus, we’re in full Whole30 mode and looking for some detoxing, healthy, and veggie packed soups to get us through. This is everything you want for a Tuesday night!
So let’s get this Taco party started……
How to make Instant Pot Ground Turkey Taco Soup
Honestly, if you’ve never cooked anything before in your life, you can easily make this one and feel proud of your accomplishments. Yes, it’s that easy!!! This recipe is adapted from a recipe in my cookbook, One Pot Gluten-Free Cooking in 30 minutes or less.
We start off with simple ingredients that you may already have on hand: ground turkey, sweet onion, jalapeño, bell pepper, cumin, paprika, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, fire roasted diced tomatoes, diced green chilis, chicken broth, and lime juice.
Heat the Instant Pot to saute mode, and let the onion and peppers cook. After 2-3 minutes, we toss in the ground turkey. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon as you cook. Once the turkey is cooked (almost complete, it’s fine it parts are a little pink), select cancel. We will add in the remaining ingredients and give it a good stir. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Use a quick release, and then serve!
Can I make this on the stovetop?
YES!! You can easily make this on the stovetop. Follow similar directions below. You will start by heating a large pot to medium heat, coat with oil, and cook the onion and peppers. Then toss in the turkey. Once turkey is completely cooked, add the remaining ingredients. Adjust the heat to medium high for 3 minutes, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for another 10 minutes before serving.
Serving and Storing:
I love serving this hot with fresh lime juice, cilantro, and then topped with avocado. This recipe will keep well in the fridge for up to 1 week, and it also freezes well!!
- Ground Turkey: You can easily change up the protein in here. Ground chicken, beef, or pork will also work!
- Bell Peppers: I used orange, solely for aesthetic purposes! You can use a red or green bell pepper. Even a poblano pepper in it’s place!
- Rice: Cauliflower rice (even from frozen) would work great in this recipe. Add about 1.5 cups before bring the recipe to pressure. Regular cooked white rice or brown rice would also work, but I would wait to add until after cook time is complete.
- Beans: Another great addition! My husband hates them, so I don’t cook with them very often. Black beans would work best. Use one can that is drained and rinsed.
- Toppings: Cheese or broken up tortilla chips or strips would work great if not following a Paleo/Whole30 diet.
Instant Pot Ground Turkey Taco Soup
Ground Turkey Taco Soup can be made in the Instant Pot or Slow cooker for ultimate ease!! Healthy, flavorful, and perfect for dinner or lunch.
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt + more to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 4oz can diced green chilis
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 avocado sliced or diced for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat with oil, then toss in diced onion and both peppers. Saute for about 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are lightly browned. Now add in the turkey. Cook for another 5-6 minutes, continuing to stir and break up with a wooden spoon. When turkey is almost cooked through, select cancel.
In a small bowl, stir together cumin, paprika, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, and salt. Add this to the turkey mixture and stir.
Now add the remaining ingredients: diced tomatoes, chilis, and chicken broth. Using a wooden spoon, be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot ensuring that nothing is stuck. Secure the lid.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Use a quick release, and ensure the steam is completely released before removing lid. Squeeze the lime juice in the soup.
Serve hot with chopped fresh cilanto and avocado (if using).