Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers are made with ground beef, spices, diced tomatoes, rice, and some melted cheddar cheese on top! This healthy dinner is packed with protein and comes together in less than 30 minutes. A family favorite recipe that is perfect for a busy weeknight or meal prep.
Instant Pot recipes have been on repeat around here! I am all about a hands-off cooking method that provides my family with healthy recipes they actually love to eat. We’ve been loving my new Instant Pot recipes for Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Chicken and Sloppy Joe’s. But with my family’s love for tacos and Mexican style meals, I thought a variation with stuffed peppers would be perfect!
As a nutritionist, I am committed to making dinners that are packed with flavor but are also nutrient-dense. That is exactly what we are doing here with these stuffed peppers! Stuffed peppers can come different variations. In fact, my Stuffed Pepper Soup is more of an Italian variation with Italian seasoning and fresh basil. This variation is Mexican style with seasonings like cumin and chili powder, topped with fresh cilantro!
Other reasons you will love these stuffed peppers: they are filling and hearty, without being heavy. Very kid friendly with seasoned beef and rice, topped with cheese! You can also make ahead and enjoy as leftovers, or for easy lunches throughout the week.
Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
- Large bell peppers: Choose a variety of colors, your favorite bell pepper, or whatever you have on hand!
- Ground beef: you can also use ground turkey as an option, but I love the variation with ground beef!
- Onion and garlic: these both pack in a little flavor punch, and are also good prebiotic foods!
- Spices: I use cumin, chili powder, and sea salt in this recipe. You can also add in chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper to pack in a little extra spice!
- Can of diced tomatoes: I like the fire roasted tomatoes or tomatoes with green chiles
- Apple cider vinegar: I love this addition for a little tang. It’s perfect with the spices and tomato. You can also use white vinegar, red wine vinegar, or even some lime juice in it’s place.
- Pre-cooked rice: the rice helps to make these bell peppers a little more hearty. I use the microwavable packs from Trader Joe’s. Feel free to swap in cauliflower rice for a low carb variation!
- Cheddar cheese: cheddar works perfectly here, but Monterey jack or pepper jack is also a great option.
Making Stuffed Peppers in the Instant Pot
- Prep your peppers by cutting off the stem, and about 1/2 inch of the top. Chop up the usable part of the pepper, discard the membrane and stem.
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat with oil. then saute onion, garlic, and the bits of chopped bell pepper.
- After a few minutes add in the ground beef, and saute until almost cooked through (about 4-5 minutes). Now stir in the spices, tomatoes, vinegar, and rice. Select cancel on the IP.
- Evenly distribute the mixture to each pepper. Top with cheddar cheese. Pour water in the bottom of the IP, then place a trivet over the water. Snuggle the peppers in the IP on top of the trivet and cover with the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Use a quick release.
Serving, Storing, and Re-heating
- Serving: Serve these with some of your favorite taco toppings: cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or diced green onion!
- Storing: Stuffed peppers will store well in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze nicely too.
- Re-heat: You can microwave for 2 minutes, or if from frozen, let come to room temperature first then microwave for 2 minutes. You can also re-heat in the oven for 15 minutes at 350.
Other recipes you will love!
- Instant Pot Keto Chili
- Ground Beef and Veggie Taco skillet
- Low-carb Chile Relleno Casserole
- Sheet Pan Potato Nachos
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers are filling, healthy, and delicious! A simple and flavorful dinner that can be made in less than 30 minutes.
- 4 large bell peppers (any color or mixture)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pre-cooked white or brown rice
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Prep your bell peppers but slicing off the top 1/2 inch. Remove the stem, and dice up the remaining top part and set aside. For the large part of the remaining pepper, discard the membrane.
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, add the oil. Saute the diced onion, garlic, and the diced up top part of the bell pepper. Saute until veggies are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the ground beef and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes or until mostly browned. Add in the spices, diced tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, and rice. Stir until thoroughly mixed, then add in half of the cheese. Select cancel on the Instant Pot.
Divide the mixture evenly by spooning into each of the 4 bell peppers. Clean out the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup of water at the bottom of the pot and place the trivet above the water. Arrange the stuffed peppers on top of the trivet (it should fit pretty tightly). Cover and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Use a quick release and remove the lid once he steam has been released. Top with the remaining cheese and fresh cilantro. You can also place the lid back on for about 30 seconds to melt the remaining cheese on top.