Change up your regular school breakfast routine by making these super yummy and nutrient dense Kid-Friendly Smoothie Bowls! These bowls will nourish bellies of all ages, and are the perfect way to start the day.
School starts in 5 days for us. AHHHH!!!! How about you?? Many of my friends and family members have already started in different states. I’ve been running around these past few days getting everything ready. So what else have I been doing to prepare?? Meal planning, stocking my freezer with snacks and breakfasts, and trying out NEW recipes that I hope my kids will like. Like these smoothie bowls.
Let me just be perfectly honest, these are not just for the kids. I mean. I just finished an entire bowl myself and
hid put the other bowl in the fridge so I can enjoy it later.
I’m super excited about these bowls because I am ALWAYS on a hunt to get my kids to enjoy a healthy breakfast that is packed with nutrients. And I finally hit a homerun with not 1, but 2 different smoothie bowl recipes!! My little guy will gladly drink a smoothie everyday, but he loves these even better so he can dress up his own bowls and pick his toppings. My little miss carbivore on the other hand, is a bit harder to please. She recently started showing an interest in my dragon fruit smoothies. I am assuming it has something to do with the gorgeous color. I mean, you’re tempted too, right??
So just a bit more about these smoothie bowls. I love to add in some healthy fats to balance out the sugar in the fruit. The chia seeds, hemp seeds, and almond butter both enhance the flavor and the nutrients! They also add in a bit of protein. You can swap out some of your favorite frozen fruits if they differ from the ones I have in these bowls. Also, depending on your kids’ tastebuds, you may want to add a bit of apple juice to the smoothie bowls. My daughter prefers the extra sweetness, my son enjoys it without. It also depends on your toppings! If topping with sweeter items such as granola, you may want to omit the apple juice altogether.
If you want an additional pack of protein, I use a scoop or two of Vital Proteins Collagen. It disolves in the smoothie and doesn’t have a taste making it a perfect protein powder option for these delicious bowls!.
Kid-Friendly Smoothie Bowls (Vegan, Paleo)
- Dragon Fruit Bowl Pitaya bowl:
- 1 frozen packet of pitaya*
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond or nut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries or strawberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp apple juice optional
- Acai Bowl:
- 1 frozen packet of acai*
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries or blueberries
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 unsweetened almond milk or nut milk
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2-3 tbsp apple juice optional
- Additional optional toppings:
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 1 kiwi sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- Choose between the dragon fruit or acai smoothie bowl, and place those ingredients into a high powered blender. Pulse until smooth. Adjust for sweetness by adding in apple juice.
- Top with fresh fruit, coconut, seeds, nuts, bananas, or even granola.
*Pitaya packets and Acai packets can be found in the frozen section at many health food grocery stores.