The classic Italian Pasta Salad gets a low carb makeover using zucchini noodles! It’s loaded with Italian flavors, fresh herbs, and a delicious dressing. The perfect lunch, dinner, or side dish is sure to be devoured by all. 10 minutes is all you need to make this Zucchini Noodle Italian Pasta Salad!
Italian Pasta Salad lightened up!
As a nutritionist, I eat my share of salads on a daily basis. They are my “go-to” when it comes to loading up on nutrients, and getting my 4 important elements of a meal (protein, fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats). But if I had to create the most perfect salad with all of my favorite foods, this one would be it!
I need you all to know that this vibrant, bright, and fantastically flavor meal has devoured by both myself and my husband EVERY DAY for the past week.
Obsessed much? Heck yes…..
And you will be too! It’s loaded with tangy delicious flavors like pepperoncinis, artichoke hearts, and capers. We also add in fresh basil and tomatoes, in addition to salami and prosciutto. It’s then topped with a simple homemade Italian dressing.
How to make Zucchini Noodle Italian Pasta Salad
We start off by gathering our simple ingredients:
- Zucchini (or pre-spiralized zucchini)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red or green bell pepper
- Artichoke hearts
- Capers or orlives
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Red wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- We start by spiralizing the zucchini! I use this spiralizer and love it.
- Prep your salami by chopping into squares and tear pieces of the prosciutto. Chop up your tomatoes and bell peppers. Add everything to the bowl with zucchini!
- Now make the dressing. In a container with a lid, add the oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, and salt. Give it a good shake and pour on top of the salad. Toss to coat and serve!
Adaptations and Make ahead!
- Cheese: you can add in fresh mozzarella or parmesan as a delicious addition to this salad! This will keep the recipe Keto, but not Paleo or Whole30 compliant.
- Veggie swaps: Feel free to add in, swap, or omit any ingredients you don’t have. Red onion is a yummy addition, banana peppers can be used in place or pepperoncinis, and olives in place of capers. I will also sometimes use pepperoni in place of salami or prosciutto.
- Make ahead meal prep: The best way to make ahead and meal prep is to keep the dressing separate from the diced up ingredients. I keep in 3 separate containers: one with spiralized zucchini, one with chopped veggies, and one with the dressing. I combine all 3 when ready to eat, and add in salami, prosciutto and fresh basil.
Other Salad Recipes you will love!
Zucchini Noodle Italian Pasta Salad
Zucchini Noodle Italian Pasta Salad is a low carb way to enjoy this classic! Loaded with Italian flavor, fresh veggies and herbs, and also salami and prosciutto.
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced uncured salami
- 4 slices prosciutto torn or cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 diced green bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 1/3 cup pepperoncinis optional
- 1/4 cup capers or sliced olives whole or sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Slice off the ends of the zucchini, and use a spiralizer to create noodles. Using paper towels, squeeze out any excess water from the zucchini noodles. Place in a large bowl.
Toss in the salad ingredients: salami, prosciutto, bell pepper, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, pepperoncinis, capers, and basil leaves.
Make your dressing by placing ingredients in a small bowl or glass jar with a lid. Shake until smooth. Pour over the noodles (you may have extra dressing), and toss. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Salad does not hold well after 8 hours.