Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette makes a delicious addition to any salad or meat!! Roasted red peppers have a smoky taste pureed with tangy ingredients for a creamy dressing that is nutrient dense.
I’m BAAACKK!!! So I just got home from vacation late last night, and had a fabulous time exploring the beautiful landscape of Montana and Idaho mountains. We had such a relaxing vacation filled with some delicious food too. One of my favorite evenings was spent at the Farmer’s Market in Whitefish, MT (the coolest little town), where I stocked up on plenty of greens. I loved all of the fresh food and veggies we consumed while traveling, but there was something I missed.
…….Salad dressing! So weird I know, but it’s hard to get me excited about generic store-bought dressings. And almost always, store bought dressings are loaded with a ton of ingredients (packed with sugar too). I keep my dressings simple, with minimal and fresh ingredients. I love to whip up at least one dressing per week to store in my fridge and pull out during lunch time, or with our dinner. I also love something to dip some raw veggies into (so do my kids), and this roasted red pepper vinaigrette is perfect!
I actually adapted this recipe from my favorite restaurant in Williamsburg: A Chef’s Kitchen. If you are ever visiting, make reservations here! It’s more structured like a cooking class with 5 courses, and you get to watch the chef cook everything in front of you. Recipes included! Because of my love for salad dressings, I knew this one would be a regular in my rotation. It pairs well with pretty much any salad with your favorite veggies. I love it with carrots in particular. It also makes a fabulous sauce for anything grilled! You can also grill your peppers instead of roasting in the oven (see recipe below). A few notes:
-Make sure you char your peppers like this:
You will peel the skin off before blending.
-This dressing stays fresh in the fridge for at least a week, up to two weeks.
-If you want a thicker variation, follow the recipe below. If you want to thin out the dressing, add some water or vegetable stock.
Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 shallot minced about 2 tbsp
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tbsp to brush on the skin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, or prepare grill for cooking.
- Slice peppers in half, de-seed, remove stem, and brush with olive oil.
- Roast the peppers either on the grill or in the oven (about 25 mins in the oven, 10-15 mins on the grill). The skins should be completely wrinkled and charred (see picture above).
- Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover, and let steam 10 minutes. Peel off skin, reserving juices.
- In a high powered blender or food processor, place bell pepper, shallots, vinegar, dijon and a little salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- With the machine running, add in oil and honey. Thin if needed with water or vegetable stock.