This deliciously easy and healthy Sausage and Vegetable Gnocchi Soup is loaded with flavor, and an Italian spiced tomato broth. You’ll love that this soup comes together so easily in less than 30 minutes on the stovetop. Kid friendly and easily customizable with vegetables that you prefer!
A simple vegetable forward soup is one of my favorite recipes to whip up on a busy weeknight. this cozy soup is nourishing and light, but still hearty and filling. It’s a perfect way to eat more veggies, and combine protein for a complete meal. As a nutritionist, I love eating soup as one of the best ways to nourish the body! You can easily load up on other nutrients from fresh herbs and greens, and also hydrate the body with high water content.
There are many reasons why you will love this Sausage and Gnocchi Soup! This veggie dominant soup is also pleasing to the palate! Similar to my vegetable detox soup with cabbage, except that we’re including protein and potato gnocchi for a more satiating meal. I’ve added sausage, tomato sauce, gnocchi, and Italian herbs to give it just the punch of flavor it needs. You can also top with some freshly grated parmesan and basil!
Sausage and Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
Here is what you will need to make this 30 minute soup!
- Italian sausage: out of the casing. You have the option to do sweet or spicy sausage, and even mixing up to use turkey or chicken sausage.
- Vegetables: I use mirepoix here: diced onion, celery, and carrots. This mixture that is sautéed will add a nice sweet and robust flavor as the base of our soup. I also toss in chopped zucchini because I love it. You can easily omit or add in an autumn squash like butternut squash.
- Italian Seasoning: this blend of dried basil, oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Marinara Sauce: my favorite brand is Rao’s, but you can use your own personal favorite.
- Chicken broth: you can also substitute with vegetable broth.
- Potato Gnocchi: my family loves potato gnocchi, but you can also use potatoes or a pasta here. The directions for cooking will change for either one!
- Arugula: I love the addition of some fresh greens in soup. Spinach or kale also make great options.
How to make Sausage and Gnocchi Soup
- Heat a large stockpot or soup pot to medium or medium high heat. Once hot, add oil then add the sausage. Brown the sausage and remove the sausage from the pot, but keep the pot hot.
- Toss in the vegetables and saute another 5-6 minutes.
- Now add the Italian seasoning, tomato sauce, cooked sausage, and chicken. Bring to a gentle boil, then add gnocchi.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, then add greens. I used arugula, but spinach is also a good option. Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Adaptations and Tips
This soup is very customizable! As I mentioned above, feel free to swap vegetables in/out. I love to consider bell pepper, butternut squash, or even mushrooms! Also swap the greens for spinach or kale.
For protein, you can use ground beef, ground turkey, or any kind of ground sausage (turkey or chicken).
For a starch, you can swap the gnocchi with another pasta, or even use potatoes.
Serving and Storing
This soup is best served with some parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve with my Easy House Salad for a complete meal.
It keeps well in the fridge for up to one week and will also freeze well. If you know you are freezing, I would suggest adding gnocchi when you defrost as the starch may break down once it’s reheated. To reheat from frozen, simply place on the stovetop on low, or allow the soup to come to room temperature before heating on the stovetop.
Other Soup Recipes you will love!
Sausage and Vegetable Gnocchi Soup
Sausage and Vegetable Gnocchi Soup is just the cozy soup you are looking for! Loaded with sautéed veggies, Italian spices, and a delicious tomato broth for a healthy weeknight meal that is made in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced sweet onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz uncooked potato gnocchi
- 2 cups fresh arugula or spinach
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
Heat a large stockpot or soup pot to medium high heat. Once hot, add the oil, then the sausage. Cook the sausage until browned, about 5-7 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up. Remove the sausage from the pot, but keep the pot hot.
Toss in the diced vegetables: onion, celery, carrots, and zucchini. Saute for 5-6 minutes, then add in minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute another 1-2 minutes.
Add the sausage back to the pot, pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Now toss in the gnocchi. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to a medium low. Simmer for about 8 minutes.
Stir in the arugula or spinach. The soup is now ready to serve. Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil (if using).