All the taste of buffalo chicken wings in a lightened-up healthy and hearty soup! This simple slow cooker Buffalo Chicken Chowder is perfect for a chilly fall/winter day. Only a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes of prep work is all you need.
I’ve lost count of the number of times I have made this Buffalo Chicken Chowder this season, and it’s also one I’ve been enjoying for years! During the colder months, we live by Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Healthy Soup Recipes. This one is taking a typical healthy soup, but adding a splash more of cozy comfort in the form wild rice and some half and half for a creamy touch!
As a nutritionist, I love to take comfort food recipes, and create something lightened up and delicious. This one takes the delicious flavors of buffalo wings in soup form. I have also added in some vegetables for crunch and flavor!
The best part? This set it and forget it meal requires just 10 minutes of prep time and is very hands-off.
Dump everything in the slow cooker, and forget about it!!
How to make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Here is what you will need to make this chicken soup:
- Chicken breast
- Wild Rice
- Buffalo Hot Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
The most difficult part of prepping this recipe is chopping the vegetables. We’ll toss the vegetables, chicken, rice, hot sauce, and chicken broth in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred with a fork, then stir in the half and half.
Serving and Storing:
Serve with some optional chopped fresh cilantro and optional shredded cheese.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze, and slowly re-heat by placing in a pot over medium low heat on the stovetop.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I make this in the Instant Pot? YES! Dump all the ingredients in the Instant Pot, just like in the slow cooker method (except the half and half). Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, then use a quick release and remove the lid. Shred the chicken with a fork and pour in half and half.
- Is this soup spicy? For some people it might be, but for my family it’s perfect. I usually use my kids as a gauge since I can handle spicy foods. They do not have a problem with this soup at 1/2 cup buffalo sauce. The addition of half and half helps to cut the spice. You can also start with 1/4 or 1/3 cup, and add in additional hot sauce if tolerated.
- Can I make this dairy-free? Absolutely! You can omit the half and half altogether and enjoy as is. Or, substitute with coconut cream or coconut milk.
- Can I use a different type of rice? Yes, brown rice, basmati, or jasmine rice will work in this soup. Or cauliflower rice as a low carb substitute!
What should I serve this soup with?
I love to pair this soup with a hearty salad. Here are a few of my favorites:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Only a handful of ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time is all you need to make this delicious and simple Buffalo Chicken Chowder. Set it and forget it in the Slow Cooker!
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice*
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce**
- 1 cup half and half
Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add rice, vegetables, and top with broth and buffalo sauce.
Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 4-6 hours, or until chicken can be easily shredded and rice is cooked through.
Shred the chicken, add the half and half, and stir to combine.
Serve immediately. Optional (but tasty) to add some cilantro, shredded cheddar ,or blue cheese crumbles.
*I use the Trader Joe’s California Wild Rice, but any wild rice, basmati, jasmine, or even brown rice will work.
**I use Frank’s Red Hot Original.