Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon is a twist on the Classic Chicken Salad recipe made with ripe avocados, turkey bacon, pecans, and red onion.
Remember that time I told you how much I hated mayonnaise? Yeah, I think it was only a few weeks ago when I posted my German Potato Salad. Anyhow, I’ve adapted several mayonnaise-y dishes over the years to include ingredients I do love. Let’s take this one for example. Most people I know love a classic Chicken Salad recipe, you know the one: chicken, grapes, pecans, celery, and that other food I don’t like to give it a creamy texture. It goes perfect with a bowl of greens, in a wrap, as a sandwich or slider, or maybe even with a fork out of the bowl. This recipe has similar versatility, but is WAY BETTER my friends! I love the variation of avocado which is full of so many healthy nutrients (Vitamin E, Potassium, most of the Vitamin B’s, and fiber to name a few). The bacon and pecans also give it a nice crunch and flavor.
Another wonderful thing about this recipe is that it’s soooooo easy!! Especially if you already have some prepared chicken on hand, this can easily come together in 10 minutes with bacon cooking time. All you really have to do mash up your avocado with the help of a lime and a fork, throw in the remaining ingredients, and your work is done.
There are several ways to eat this. On a hot summer night, you might not be in the mood for a hot dinner. This can be spooned onto some sandwich bread or wrapped in a pita. For any of my Paleo and GF friends, you can serve this over some greens. It’s also easily transportable for a picnic or gathering with friends.
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 chicken breasts or 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 5 strips of bacon (I use turkey bacon)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Salt to taste.
- Begin by cooking your bacon to your liking. Mine generally takes about 5 minutes per side on Medium-Medium HIgh heat. Drain any excess fat with a paper towel, set aside.
- Mash up your avocado with a fork in a large bowl. Add lime and spices (reserve the salt for the very end).
- Mix in chicken, bacon, pecans, and onion.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve over greens, in a wrap, or on bread as a sandwich.