Chicken Salad is undoubtedly a healthy and easy classic recipe! This version combines shredded chicken, chopped celery, sliced almonds, chopped cilantro, raisins, and a creamy mango curry dressing. We’re taking a classic, and adding a punch of flavor and tang! Curry Chicken Salad is light, bright, and perfect for a picnic, potluck, and even meal prep.
Another day, another healthy chicken recipe! When I think of chicken salad, I immediately think of a meal I love for lunch or dinner on a warm sunny day. As someone who grow up with the classic chicken salad that wasn’t necessarily my favorite, adult me has taken on the task of creating fun variations of chicken salad. Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon or Buffalo Chicken Salad are on repeat around here. This shredded chicken salad recipe is no different! Fresh and bright flavors with hints of lime, cilantro, curry, and sweet mango make for a tasty twist on the classic.
As a nutritionist, I am always looking for easy recipes to make during the warmer months where our meals are often outdoors. I ensure those meals are packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats. This healthy variation of curry chicken salad does just that!
Ingredients to make Curry Chicken Salad
Here are the ingredients you need to make curry chicken salad:
- Chicken breast: you can bake and shred your chicken breast, or use a rotisserie chicken for ultimate ease!
- Mayonnaise: admittedly, this is not my favorite food. However, I love using the chipotle lime mayo from Primal kitchen!
- Curry powder: you can use any curry powder here, be sure it’s not the liquid paste
- White wine vinegar: I love the white wine vinegar variation in here for a hint of sweetness but you can also use apple cider or red wine vinegar in it’s place.
- Lime juice: be sure to use juice of real limes for that extra zing and tang
- Dijon Mustard: I love the mustard in here for a hint of spice and tang
- Mango: scoop out the flesh of a full mango for some added sweetness with a hint of summer
- Cilantro: Chopped cilantro brings out the freshness and packs in the nutrients and flavor!
- Celery: I love celery in a chicken salad for some added texture and fiber
- Sliced almonds: another element of crunch with the bonus of healthy fats
- Raisins: delicious texture with the sweetness that pairs so well with curry!
- Green onion: packing a little punch in this recipe. You can also substitute with red onion
Making Chicken Salad
There are three different steps to making this recipe. You can also hit the easy button by buying pre-shredded chicken or purchasing cooked chicken from a rotisserie!
- Make the chicken. The simplest way is cooking chicken breast in the oven for 20-25 minutes then shredding. OR, purchase chicken already cooked.
- Chop the veggies: celery, green onion, and cilantro
- Make the dressing: In a blender or food processor, combine vinegar, mayo, curry powder, cilantro, mustard, lime juice, and mango.
- Combine it altogether!
Serving and Storing:
Before serving, it’s best to refrigerate this chicken salad for 1-2 hours to really let the flavors develop. You can store it in the fridge for up to five days.
Serve with additional cilantro, if desired. You can place in a wrap, a tortilla, with rolls or bread, with collard greens, or over greens. So many variations for this versatile meal!
Other Lunch recipes you will love!
- Chopped Southwest Chicken Salad
- Classic Broccoli Salad
- Fresh Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Hungry for More? Subscribe to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Curry Chicken Salad
Healthy Curry Chicken Salad is made with real ingredients, and is simple to throw together! You'll love the creamy homemade curry dressing with hints of lime and mango.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast*
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Paleo mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 mango, skinned, seeded, and diced
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
Begin by cooking your chicken. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Salt and pepper each breast, and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven, and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Then cut or shred the chicken into small pieces.
Meanwhile, make your dressing. In a high powered blender or food processor, blend mayonnaise, curry powder, vinegar, lime juice, mustard, mango, chopped cilantro, and a pinch of salt. Blend until completely smooth.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, dressing, celery, onion, almonds, and raisins. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This chicken salad tastes better after letting the flavors meld in the fridge for several hours. Once ready to serve, top with additional fresh cilantro.
Serve over greens or in a wrap.
*You can use pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken in place of the chicken breast. You will need about 3-3.5 cups.
OMG! This is one of the best things I have ever tasted in my life! Sure I am 11 But that is AMAZING!
Is there a spot that shows the nutritional facts? I made it and its wonderful, just hoping to know the facts to make sure I serve the correct amount for myself
Yes, I just updated the recipe card, the nutrition facts are at the bottom
Celeb Networth says
Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!
So easy and delicious!