Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon is a twist on the classic chicken salad recipe made with ripe avocados, bacon, pumpkin seeds, and red onion. Such a delicious packable meal, and one that is perfect during warmer weather. This recipe comes together so quickly in less than 30 minutes! Paleo, Keto-Friendly, and Whole30 approved!
Chicken Salad with a twist!
Most people I know love a classic Chicken Salad recipe, you know the one: chicken, grapes, pecans, celery, and mayonnaise. It goes perfect with a bowl of greens, in a wrap, as a sandwich or slider, or maybe even with a fork out of the bowl. And while I absolutely love my Buffalo Chicken Salad and Mango Curry Chicken Salad, the swap of avocado and mayo is one that I can definitely get on board with.
If I’m being honest, that is not my favorite meal since I don’t like mayo. This recipe has similar versatility, but is WAY BETTER my friends! So years ago I created a version that would have a creamy consistency without mayo, and absolutely LOVED the avocado with crunchy and salty bacon.
Reasons why I love Chicken Salad with Avocado:
- Avocado provides an extra dose of nutrients and healthy fats! As a nutritionist, I am always looking for ways to add healthy fats to our meals.
- It’s low carb! For all of my Keto diet enthusiasts, this low carb dish is filling and delicious.
- During the warmer months, I am too hot to eat hot foods! This salad served at room temperature or chilled, is so refreshing.
- I can pack it and take it anywhere! A day spent on the boat? Pack this salad for lunch. A night at the baseball fields? Definitely packing this salad for dinner. Headed to the pool on a Saturday evening with friends? You’ve guessed it, pack this salad!
How to make Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon:
We’ll start by gathering up our ingredients:
- raw chicken breast (or pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie)
- red onion
- pumpkin seeds
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- lime juice
- You can pre-cook the chicken and shred, or use a rotisserie chicken for ultimate ease!
- Cook the bacon to desired crispiness and chop into pieces.
- Mash the avocado with lime juice, salt, and cumin. Now add in the red onion, chicken, bacon, and pumpkin seeds.
Stir to combine and add cilantro!
Tips and shortcuts:
Another wonderful thing about this recipe is that it’s soooooo easy!! Especially if you already have some prepared chicken on hand, this can easily come together in 10 minutes with bacon cooking time. I suggest getting a rotisserie chicken, or if you meal prep chicken breast earlier in the week, use that.
You can omit the bacon if short on time. It won’t have that smoky and salty flavor with crunch, but still soooo good!
Serving and Storing:
There are several ways to eat this. On a hot summer night, you might not be in the mood for a hot dinner. This can be spooned onto some sandwich bread or wrapped in a pita. F
or any of my Paleo and GF friends, you can serve this over some greens. It’s also easily transportable for a picnic or gathering with friends. This is my “go-to” dinner for spending an evening at the pool!!
This will last in the fridge for only about 1 day, as the avocado will start to brown and it won’t be as fresh.
Other Salads you will love:
I love the idea of serving multiple salads together on one night for dinner. This pairs well with other salads. Some of my favorites include:
- Basil Lime Fruit Salad
- Chopped Southwest Chicken Salad
- Summer Slaw with Tahini Dressing
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Easy House Salad
Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon
Avocado Chicken Salad with Bacon comes together in just about 10 minutes with a handful of ingredients! Such a yummy twist on the classic chicken salad recipe.
- 5 strips of bacon
- 3 large avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 chicken breasts* cooked or 2.5 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro for serving
Begin by cooking your bacon to your liking. Mine generally takes about 5 minutes per side on Medium-Medium high heat. Drain any excess fat with a paper towel, set aside.
Mash up your avocado with a fork in a large bowl. Add lime juice, cumin, and sea salt.
Mix in shredded chicken, bacon, pumpkin seeds, and onion.
Salt to taste. Serve over greens, in a wrap, or on bread as a sandwich.
*To cook my chicken, I place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.