A grain-free, high-protein bread full of chocolate flavor that makes a delicious dessert, snack, or breakfast! Coconut flakes, cherries, roasted pecans, and dark chocolate chips all add to the moist texture and yumminess of this bread. And don’t feel guilty about eating it! It’s full of nutrition, is gluten-free, Paleo, and contains a low-glycemic index.
I’m super excited about this post, and not just because it’s chocolate, but because I’m hosting my first giveaway!! I want to share with you this awesome cookbook from Dr. Mark Hyman: The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. With over 175 tasty recipes that support balanced insulin levels, this cookbook is for those seeking optimum health. The book actually begins with the science behind maintaining blood sugar levels with food, and how you can prevent disease with nutritious ingredients. As a nutritionist, I especially use a lot of the recipes to recommend to my clients who are diabetic or pre-diabetic. They always come back to me with great reviews!
To enter to win a FREE copy of this book shipped to your home, scroll down pass the recipe to enter! Entering is super easy, and the winner will be notified by email.
I have also made plenty of the recipes in my own kitchen that myself and my family LOVE!! The recipes cover breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner, and dessert with a variety of cuisines. Some of the recipes in the book that I love:
Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
Curried Spinach with Chickpeas and Coconut Milk
Texas Style Turkey Chili
Southwestern Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Roasted Apple and Sweet Potato Medley
Chinese Fried Quinoa
Double Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups
Strawberry Ice Cream
For my seafood loving friends, I am sure you will love the Mexican Cooked Shrimp Ceviche, the Almond Crusted Salmon with Lentil Salad or many more seafood recipes! All recipes in the book are both dairy-free and gluten-free. Most of the recipes are also Paleo.
The one recipe I am sharing with you today is directly from the book, and one that completely satisfies my chocolate addiction in a healthy way, chocolate zucchini bread:
The texture is nutty from the almond flour, but the dried cherries, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes really make this bread so ridiculously good:
I made this over the weekend, and my kids asked for it for breakfast. They also wanted it in their lunchbox. They loved it, and of course pay no attention to just how nutritious this bread is. I love baking breads in the fall and winter, this would be the perfect ending to a bowl of soup!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups almond flour or ground almond meal
- 2 oz 70% dark chocolate chips or flakes
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup dried sour cherries roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut butter or coconut oil*, melted
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Turn to low speed to combine everything evenly.
- In a separate large bowl mix the eggs, coconut butter, and zucchini.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and turn the mixture to medium speed. Continue to mix and stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, ensuring there are patches of dry ingredients.
- Spread the batter into your loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread, 35-40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes inside the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slice to serve.
I used coconut oil in place of coconut butter with great results!