All the delicious flavors of the Holiday season in 1 super yummy bite! These easy Sausage and Cranberry Stuffed Mushrooms with Sage are Paleo and Whole30 approved, and sure to be devoured by all!
Well hello cranberries, I am so glad it is finally that time of year for you to get in my belly! You pair oh so well with sausage, sage, and apples. I think I’ll just stuff you all in a mushroom so I can enjoy a happy party in my mouth. Speaking of parties, how about adding these festive little appetizers to your table?
These are the thoughts that run through my head after being asked to bring an appetizer to yet another Halloween party. I love Halloween, but after several weekends celebrating, I was already thinking ahead to Thanksgiving (I guess I need to work on that whole “being present” thing that I often preach…..bad yoga teacher!!). My Thanksgiving feast is so yummy, that I was eager to share it with others on Halloween. In the form of Mushrooms. My absolute favorite stuffing is made with apples, cranberries, sausage, and sage. So I shoved it in a mushroom. It was ridiculously yummy. And you’ll love it. We all did!
The earthiness of mushrooms really adds to the sausage-cranberry combo. A perfect amount of sweetness and flavor. Did I mention the leeks and pecans? They are perfect here too. The surprises keep coming!
So I basically just made these by sautéing my sausage, some leeks, pecans, and apples. Be sure to cut up the leeks and apples into tiny pieces!! I even chopped up the dried cranberries. Mix the entire medley together, and add in 2 whisked eggs to help bind the mixture while baking. Brush the caps of the mushrooms with a olive oil and garlic mix, then stuff with all that goodness. You can easily prepare these ahead of time, and bake right before serving.
The thought just occurred to me that the sage and cranberries look very festive for Christmas. I can’t wait to make these several times in December! You are going to LOVE them!!
- 8 oz ground sausage
- 30-35 large white button or baby bella mushrooms, stems removed
- ½ cup skinned, cored, and chopped apples (really tiny pieces, or even shredded)
- ¼ cup chopped leeks
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (divided)
- ⅓ cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet, set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium high heat. Coat with 2 tbsp oil, add sausage and begin to cook. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, add in leeks, apples, and pecans. Saute for another 4-5 minutes, or until sausage is cooked completely. Continue to break apart the sausage so there are no big chunks.
- Pour mixture into a medium sized bowl. Add in cranberries, fresh sage, and eggs. Stir around so all ingredients are well mixed.
- Mix the remaining oil with crushed garlic. Place the mushrooms inside the baking sheet, and brush the caps of each mushroom with oil/garlic mixture.
- Spoon the mixture in each mushroom cap.
- Place inside the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until mushrooms are browned. Serve hot!