Overnight Oats are one of the easiest and healthiest breakfast recipes! This no-cook Banana Split Overnight Oats recipe combines just a handful of ingredients that sit overnight and can be made in less than 10 minutes. A healthy, grab-and-go breakfast that is perfect to enjoy throughout the week.
If you love easy and healthy breakfast recipes, these Overnight Oats are for you! Oatmeal lovers should rejoice in the fact that you don’t have to quit eating your beloved favorite breakfast when warmer temps kick in. Another wonderful aspect of overnight oats, you can also warm them up and mornings you are craving something cozy!
As a nutritionist who also has two teenagers, I am all about the healthy breakfasts that get my kids involved. Overnight oats are a nutritious breakfast because it is packed with fiber with the addition of chia seeds and strawberries. I’ve also included some nut butter to add in healthy fats! Since my kids love oatmeal in the morning, I love this Banana Split Overnights Oats recipe that they can make and enjoy in the summertime.
This recipe is perfect to get kids involved in eating healthy. It comes together by simply using milk, a dash of sweetener (honey or maple syrup), rolled oats, and chia seeds. Let the mixture sit overnight in a jar. In the morning, give it a good stir and top with strawberries, bananas, chocolate chips, and nut butter (or nuts of your choice). So much easier than making a bowl of cereal!! I love that you can control the amount of sugar, and the recipe is full of other nutrient-dense foods like antioxidants from strawberries, and additional protein from the chia seeds.
How to make Overnight Oats
Here are the ingredients you need to make overnight oats:
- Rolled Oats: be sure to use old fashioned rolled oats and not steel cut!
- Milk: you can use whole milk, or any dairy-free milk you enjoy. Oatmilk, coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or whatever you choose works well in this recipe!
- Chia seeds: I love the addition of chia seeds for a big dose of fiber, healthy fats, and protein! Plus they soak up milk and create a great texture in overnight oats
- Sweetener: you can use honey or maple syrup.
- Pinch of salt: I use Himalayan sea salt for this recipe.
For the Banana Split favor, we are going to add in strawberries, nut butter of choice, bananas, and chocolate chips.
Simply stir together the oats, chia seeds, pinch of salt, strawberries, nut butter, sweetener, milk, and chocolate chips. Let sit overnight. Before serving the next morning, top with sliced bananas, additional nuts if wanted, and more chocolate chips.
Overnight Oats FAQs
- Can I use yogurt in this recipe? Yes, simply use half the amount of milk (for one serving that would be 1/2 cup), and 1/2 cup yogurt. This adds in additional protein, especially if using greek yogurt!
- Do these oats have to sit overnight? No, they really only need 1-2 hours, so plan accordingly!
- How long do these overnight oats last in the fridge? I would not add in the banana until serving because it turns brown. But they can last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Do I need to use a mason jar? No! In fact, using a large container to make more servings is certainly fine. Just store in an air tight container.
- Are overnight oats gluten-free? Yes, if you use certified gluten-free oats.
This recipe is perfect for busy mornings, and even portable to take with you. No more excuses for not eating the most important meal of the day!!
Other Easy Breakfasts you will love!
Banana Split Overnight Oats
Banana Split Overnight Oats makes the easiest, on-the-go, and portable breakfast that comes together in less than 10 minutes! This no-cook recipe is also perfect for oatmeal lovers who can enjoy these oats year round. Healthy and delicious!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative, I use flax milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 banana sliced
- 3-4 strawberries diced
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp pecans or nuts of of your choice
The night before, mix together oats, chia seeds, milk, nut butter, sweetener, and strawberries in a jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, give your mixture a good stir. Top with bananas, extra strawberries, chocolate chips, and pecans.