This bowl of Creamy Chipotle Sausage and Pepper Soup has the most delicious “cheesy” sauce! Looking for an over the top comfort food bowl of soup that you won’t even believe is nutritious? Let’s dig in! Only 30 minutes and one pan to get this bowl on your table.
Packed with spicy sausage, different colored bell peppers, a cashew based “cheesy” chipotle sauce, and optional crispy cauliflower gnocchi; it’s a flavor bomb in your mouth! Everything you could possibly want in a bowl of soup for a cold evening. You will not believe how decadent, creamy, smoky, spicy, and cozy this soup is– a definite show stopper!
A Healthy way to enjoy pure comfort food!
On a recent Saturday when my boys were preoccupied with football, I was having a craving for a cheesy based sausage soup with some spice. It was definitely one of those flavor combinations I couldn’t get out of my head, so I set to work making this bowl of absolute perfection! After completely devouring my Creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili with Bacon, I wanted another “cheesy” soup.
As a nutritionist, I am always trying to come up with creative ways to get ultimate nutrition without sacrificing flavor! We pack in a few different veggies, some fiber, protein, and a healthy fat in the form of the cashew sauce. It’s filling and satisfying in the best way possible!
I’ve now made this a few times, and did have to tame down the spice after the first attempt. The good news, we can also make this one in the Instant Pot!
Let’s get started!
How to make Creamy Chipotle Sausage and Pepper Soup:
Gather up these ingredients:
- spicy sausage (this can be chorizo or Italian sausage– pork, turkey, or chicken)
- white onion
- avocado oil or olive oil
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- raw cashews
- chicken broth
- apple cider vinegar
- nutritional yeast
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (option to use just chipotle spice powder)
- sea salt
- cauliflower gnocchi (or cauliflower rice)
- We start by sautéing the sausage, onion, garlic, and peppers altogether with some avocado oil. I am always trying to make things as easy as possible! Saute until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink (around 10 minutes or so).
- Make the cashew based sauce. You will need to soak your cashews in hot water for about 15 minutes prior to making the sauce. Drain the water, then add the cashews to a food processor or blender with chicken broth, vinegar, nutritional yeast, sea salt, cilantro, and chipotle pepper with adobo sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the pot, and then add in the broth. Give it a good stir, reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for another 10-12 minutes before serving.
- Prepare the optional cauliflower gnocchi. I place mine in the air fryer at 390 for 13 minutes, to get it nice and crispy! You can leave it out, or see below for an option of cauliflower rice. Serve with fresh cilantro!
I love the addition of cauliflower gnocchi in here, I buy it from Trader Joe’s. If you don’t want to use the gnocchi, or can’t get it, you can substitute with cauliflower rice. You can heat it from frozen, then toss in with the broth. The other option is rice a head of cauliflower, and add it with the broth.
The other option is just to omit the cauliflower altogether! I love the addition of cauliflower for the added fiber 😉
Instant Pot option:
You can make this soup in the Instant Pot. Select the saute function on the IP. Once hot, add the oil and saute the garlic and onion with the sausage. After the sausage is cooked, select cancel.
Add in the diced bell pepper, the top with broth (if using cauliflower rice, add it here). Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Once cook time is complete, do a quick release of steam. Remove the lid and stir in the chipotle sauce. Let simmer for a few minutes, then add in the cauliflower gnocchi before serving.
Keto and Whole30 option:
If you are following a strict Keto or Whole30 diet, use cauliflower rice in place of the gnocchi. Also, use chipotle powder spice instead of the peppers (most brands have a sweetener in the adobo sauce).
Creamy Chipotle Sausage and Pepper Soup
Creamy Chipotle Sausage and Pepper Soup is such a decadent and delicious soup, you'll never guess it's dairy-free! Only 30 minutes to make.
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 lb spicy sausage*
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 32 oz chicken broth + 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce**
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro + more for garnish
- 1 cup cauliflower gnocchi*** (optional)
Before starting the soup, be sure to soak the raw cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
Heat a large soup pot to medium high heat. Once hot, add the oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Toss in the sausage, onion, garlic, and both bell peppers. Cook for about 10 – 12 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink.
Meanwhile, make the "cheesy" chipotle sauce. Drain the water from the soaked cashews and add to a food processor or blender. Add the nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup chicken broth, vinegar, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, sea salt, and the cilantro. Blend until smooth, this will take a few minutes and may require you to pause the blending to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
Pour the cheesy sauce into the pot, along with the remaining chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer.
If using cauliflower rice, add it here, and if using the cauliflower gnocchi add the gnocchi to your air fryer to cook. Set the air fryer to 390, and cook for 12 minutes.
Continue to stir the soup occasionally, ensuring it is smooth and creamy. Garnish with fresh cilantro and cauliflower gnocchi (if using).
* You can use pork, turkey, or chicken sausage.
**If following a strict Keto or Whole30 diet and unable to find chipotle peppers without sugar, you can use 2 tsp of chipotle spice powder in it’s place.
***I use cauliflower gnocchi from Trader Joe’s. If you want a different option, you can omit altogether or use 1 cup cauliflower rice.