Jalapeno Popper Burrito Bowls are exactly what you want for dinner! It’s comforting, and absolutely delicious while still packing in nutrients. You’ll love the creamy and “cheesy” based jalapeño sauce that takes center stage here as it smothers chicken and bacon in the most delicious way! Less than 30 minutes and a skillet is all you need!
If your family is anything like mine, Mexican food such as tacos, burritos, and enchiladas, are always met with enthusiasm! So today, we’re doing burrito bowl time with all the feels! This recipe starts with some crispy bacon and flavorful chicken pieces, then gets a HUGE upgrade with a “cheesy” cashew based jalapeño sauce. Oh yes, maximum dinner accomplishment without much work.
Reasons these Jalapeno Popper Burrito Bowls are healthy for your body!
As a nutritionist, I often see clients who are trying to “eat better” by packing in protein and vegetables. Grilled chicken or fish with a side of vegetables is always popular. But you know what I tell them? There is not enough in that meal to make you feel satisfied and full for several hours! In fact, the boring and bland meal of lean protein and veggies is bound to make you hungry within an hour or two.
My solution? Let’s add some decadence, healthy fats, and fiber!
The blender cashew based queso in this recipe gives this recipe that extra flavor bomb that makes your body happy. It’s loaded with healthy fats, and also makes you feel fuller for longer! The bed of cauliflower rice gives us the texture of a satisfying burrito bowl, but with additional fiber that is so good for our bodies. Oh and the bacon? Just for added crunch and everyone’s favorite ingredient!
How to make Jalapeno Popper Chicken Burrito Bowls
You’ll love that this one pan meal comes together in a skillet and less than 30 minutes! We start by gathering up these ingredients:
- Chicken breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- Raw cashews
- Water or chicken broth
- Nutritional yeast
- Hot sauce
- Riced cauliflower or a head of cauliflower (you can also use my Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice recipe!)
- Romaine, chopped onion, tomatoes for serving 😉
Before getting started, ensure that you soak your cashews in hot water for at least 10 minutes, then drain.
- Start by cooking your bacon in a skillet. Keep 1-2 tbsp of the bacon fat to cook the chicken.
- Cook the chicken breast for 3-4 minutes per side, add salt and pepper. If you prefer sautéed cauliflower rice, add into the skillet with the chicken after a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew sauce. Add drained cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro and hot sauce to a high powered blender.
- Pour the cashew sauce into the skillet with the chicken and let it heat up for a few minutes.
- You can warm up your cauliflower rice in the microwave, or enjoy raw with toppings like guacamole, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Add the chicken, with sauce and bacon!
Storing and re-heating
If you have leftovers, or want to use with meal prep, you can definitely do that with this dinner! I would keep the cauliflower rice separate from the chicken and sauce. Store in the fridge, this will not freeze well.
Gently reheat the chicken and sauce on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave over medium power.
Other healthy Mexican recipes you will love!
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers with Dairy-free Lime Sour Cream
- Beef and Veggie Taco Skillet
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Salsa Verde
- Chili Relleno Casserole
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Burrito Bowls
One pan and 30 minutes is all you need to make these very flavorful Jalapeno Popper Chicken Burrito Bowls! You'll love the dairy-free decadent jalapeno "cheese" sauce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 5 slices thick bacon
- 1.5 lbs raw chicken breast, cut into bit sized pieces
- pinch of salt and pepper
For the Cashew Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews*
- 2/3 cup water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 jalapeno diced and seeds removed
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp buffalo hot sauce
For the bowls:
- 4-5 cups cauliflower rice**
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced
Heat up a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, coat the pan with oil or cooking spray and add bacon. Cook the bacon for 3-5 minutes per side (cooked to your liking), and set aside. Reserve one tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan and keep the pan hot.
Add the chicken to the pan. Let cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. If you want to saute your cauliflower rice, feel free to add it when you have a few minutes left of cooking the chicken.
Meanwhile, in a blender, blend cashews, water, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, jalapeño, cilantro, and hot sauce. Continue to blend for several minutes, or until mixture is smooth and creamy. You may need to pause several times and scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula.
Reduce the heat on the skillet to low. Add the cashew sauce to the chicken mixture and stir frequently for 3-5 minutes so the cashew sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Once cashew sauce is hot, prepare to serve.
Assemble the burrito bowls. Begin with cauliflower rice, top with chicken and sauce, then bacon. Now add in any extra toppings: lettuce, tomato, onion, cilantro, and avocado. Salt to taste and serve.
*The raw cashews should be soaked in hot water for at least 15 minutes, or overnight.
**For the riced cauliflower, use one large head of cauliflower rice cut into florets. Place inside a food processor or blender and pulse until rice forms. Do not over pulse or it will become mush! Alternatively you can buy already riced cauliflower, 16 oz is sufficient for this recipe