The classic PB&J sandwich gets a healthy gluten-free makeover with a layer of oatmeal peanut butter goodness topped with a homemade chia seed berry jam! A perfect lunchbox addition or quick and easy breakfast.
Guess what’s just around the corner: Back to School!!! Wooohooo!! I have loved my summer with my kids, but I am definitely looking forward to getting back to a normal routine in the fall. The one where I can get things done during the day, not feel like my to-do list is never ending, and life has a bit more of a schedule. Right now we are flying by the seat of our pants, spending endless hours outside, and my work load has suffered. Has it been fun? Of course! Totally worth it, but so many of my projects have been put on the back burner………..
At least I had time to make these PB & J bars today.
I have not had time in my kitchen lately. Hence the reason why I am ready for back-to-school. I am glad these bars were super easy, because otherwise, this whole cooking thing has not been happening on a regular basis. I actually started these the night before with my first attempt at chia jam. It was so ridiculously easy, and honestly, I don’t see the reason to be buying jam anymore. All I did was boil 1 cup of frozen organic berries and 2tbsp of maple syrup in a saucepan. Once the berries were soft, and the juices had all melded together, I added the chia seeds and let it cool. Much cheaper, much healthier.
The next part of the bars were super fun. I just melted some coconut oil, peanut butter, and honey together and mixed together with oatmeal and almond flour. I baked the bottom half for roughly 15 minutes, then spooned the chia jam with swirled peanut butter. Bake again, and then let cool before cutting into squares.
Freeze them or store them in an air tight container. I think they would be perfect for an on-the-go breakfast option or as lunchbox snack!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- 1 cup frozen berries*
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter+1 tbsp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats I used a GF variation
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Begin to make your jam. Bring frozen berries and maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer until the berries are soft and the juices have been released. Smash the berries. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. Add chia seeds and remove from heat. Set aside to cool. You can do this step ahead and refrigerate the jam.
- For the peanut bars, melt coconut oil honey and peanut butter in a saucepan or microwave. Mix together until smooth, add vanilla extract.
- Slowly fold in oats and almond flour until mixture is thick. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Using an 8x8 pan, line the pan with parchment paper, creating a sling letting the paper hang over the sides. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Press the peanut butter mixture along the bottom of the pan until very firm and tight. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Spoon approximately 3/4 cup of the jam over the top of the peanut butter oat mixture. Swirl in the remaining tbsp of peanut butter. Return to the oven and bake another 7 minutes, or until the jam is firm.
- Let cool completely, then cut into small squares.
- Store in the freezer or air tight container.