Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sweet Potatoes is hitting the easy button with dinner! This simple dinner comes together in less than 30 minutes with just a few ingredients. Healthy, simple, and delicious!! Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Sheet Pan Dinner for the win!
I am not sure how your day is going, but my brain needs some help today. Send all the healthy and easy recipes, NOW!!!! Fresh off of vacation, and my favorite way to get back on track is with a Sheet Pan Meal. As a nutritionist, these are my favorite meals to make! The perfect way to pack in veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats.
There have been numerous requests to Wholesomelicious in recent weeks for more Sheet Pan meals. Ya’ll know I love a good sheet pan dinner. A few of my favorites, (and reader favorites too):
- Sheet Pan Pomegranate Chicken and Brussels sprouts
- Sheet Pan Chipotle Steak Fajitas
- Rosemary Balsamic Sheet Pan Chicken with Bacon and Apples
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken with Pineapple
I was feeling a little Middle Eastern flair was needed in this group of recipes. So I resorted to one of my favorite flavor combos: Chicken Shawarma!!
How to make Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma:
You’ll love the simplicity of this meal! First up we’ll gather the ingredients:
- chicken breast tenders
- avocado oil
- lemon juice
- sea salt
- cayenne pepper
- Sweet potatoes
- red onion
We start by marinating the chicken, in a quick and easy marinade. While the chicken is marinating, the sweet potatoes will be cubed and placed in the oven.
I like to place the sweet potatoes around the edges of the sheet pan. This creates a more “roasted” potato instead of a more “steamed” potato that will occur if placed in the center. We’ll roast for about 15 minutes, then add the chicken and onions.
Roast at a lower temp for another 20-25 minutes.
Serving and Storing:
- Serve: this delicious sheet pan meal tastes delicious over some greens and with fresh tomatoes, and even my yummy Tahini dressing. I also love this recipe with Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh!! It works great in a ‘bowl” form
- Store: Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma also makes a fantastic meal prep recipe. You can make ahead, store in the fridge, and enjoy for lunches or easy dinners throughout the week!
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma with Sweet Potatoes
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma is hitting the easy button with dinner. Only 30 minutes and a sheet pan is all you need! Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast tenders*
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 large red onion sliced
- fresh parsley or mint for serving (optional)
- 2 cups arugula (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a large sheet pan by gently greasing with cooking spray. Set aside.
Peel the sweet potatoes and dice up into even chunks. Place around the outside edges of the pan, and evenly space the potatoes.
In a bowl, whisk together oil, lemon, paprika, cumin, turmeric, sea salt, and cayenne pepper if using. Gently brush 1-2 tbsp of the oil mixture over the potatoes. Place the potatoes in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, marinate the chicken in the remaining dressing. After 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven. Place the marinated chicken and red onion in the middle of the sheet pan. Lower the temperature to 400 degrees. Roast for another 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove from oven. Serve sweet potatoes, chicken, and onion over arugula (if using), rice, or cauliflower rice. Garnish with parsley or mint. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, and additional lemon juice. Or try my tahini dressing.
*You can also use regular chicken breast, and then slice into smaller pieces.