Weeknight dinner has never been easier or tastier with this Santa Fe Chicken! Recipe can be made in the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot for a dish that requires such little prep time.
Another spring evening weeknight is spent at the baseball fields, and I am not complaining one bit! I love this time of year with my favorite sport in full swing, and love how much my kids enjoy playing. Want to know something else I love? Super easy dinners. Like throw everything into a slow cooker or Instant Pot type of super easy. The kind that only requires a few minutes of prep, produces a super tasty meal the whole family loves, and has plenty of leftovers. Yep, that’s this Santa Fe Chicken!!
I love all the flavors in here: plenty of yummy spices, tomatoes, diced green chilis, corn, shredded chicken, beans and topped with everything I love in life!! Several different options when serving this dish. We use it as another excuse for Taco Tuesday, my family’s favorite. It can be wrapped in a tortilla, served over rice, or over a bed of greens. My Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice was a perfect addition to this bowl of yumminess!
I had to add a ton of cilantro and avocado and squeeze some fresh lime juice for even more flavor. This was prepped on a weekday afternoon, thrown in the slow cooker, and ready to eat when we got home from a baseball game. I also tried this on a different occasion in my Instant Pot to get it just right. I love that I could use the saute function to boost flavor. The best part, plenty of leftovers! This meal would be perfect for meal prep bowls to make ahead on a weekend and use for lunch or dinners throughout the week.
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Santa Fe Chicken
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder optional
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup diced onion about half large onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained
- 1.5 - 2 lbs chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime optional
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- For the Slow Cooker:
- Begin by mixing together all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In your slow cooker combine tomatoes, beans, corn, diced green chilis, and spices. Nestle Chicken on top, then garlic and onion.
- Now top with chicken stock and apple cider vinegar.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken can be easily shredded apart with a fork.
- For the Instant Pot:
- Begin my mixing together all the spices in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute function. Once hot, coat with oil, then add diced onion, garlic, and corn. Cook for 3-4 minutes, select cancel.
- Add tomatoes, chilis, beans, and spices. Mix, then top with chicken. Finally add in broth and apple cider vinegar.
- Select the manual function for 8 minutes. Once complete, use a quick release.
- Open the lid and shred the chicken. Serve immediately.