Three Beans combined with vegetables, tossed with fresh basil, and dressed with a tangy lemon vinaigrette. A simple and delicious lunch or side dish for any occasion!
I’m noshing on this as I write, and guys, it’s so yummy!! I am always creating different lunch dishes that can last me for several days. I love to pack these dishes with plant based ingredients and meat-less protein. Especially if I have animal protein for dinner, I really try to stick to my rule of limiting the amount of animal protein and only eating it once per day (or not at all). I love the combination of the nutrients from 3 different beans, and than throwing in all of my favorite veggies. I added raw beets and marinated artichokes in this salad for extra tang, and a texture that works perfectly!
The dressing is also super simple, requiring no blenders or food processors. Juice from a lemon, crushed garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. I also topped the whole thing with lemon pepper, so good to add that extra zing!! Feel free to customize with all of your own favorite veggies as well. I threw in some pepperoncinis because I’m obsessed. Olives would also work. I love to add raw beets because it’s normally not a vegetable I eat that often, but you could easily substitute other vegetables.
This dish would also make the perfect potluck or picnic dish! It’s super easy to pack and sure to be a crowd pleaser. It is also one that will last for a few days in the fridge. Make this on Sunday night (it will only take you a few minutes), and you can enjoy it throughout the week for your lunch. My only recommendation would be to add the fresh basil separately on each day you the salad. Definitely added to my list of easy lunch recipes!
Three-Bean Salad with Artichokes and Beets
- 1 14 oz can of Great Northern Beans
- 1 14 oz can of Kidney Beans
- 1 14 oz can of Garbanzo Beans
- 1 8 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 1/2 cup chopped skinned raw beets
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or vinegar of your choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon pepper optional
- Begin by emptying the beans into a large colander. Rinse beans thoroughly and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the artichokes in half (or leave as is) and add to the beans. Add remaining vegetables: beets, onion, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, garlic cloves, and oil. Pour over bean salad and toss to combine everything together.
- Add fresh basil, salt, and lemon pepper (if using). Continue to toss until salad is completely combined. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.