These simple Ground Turkey Taco Bowls come together with cauliflower Spanish Rice and all of your favorite taco toppings! A wonderful and nutritious way to enjoy your tacos. Grain-free, Paleo, and Whole30 approved!
Hello Taco Tuesday, my favorite day of the week. You taste absolutely amazing a million different ways, but today we’re talking about taco bowls. Because tortillas are sooooo 2016…….
Kidding…….Don’t be mad taco people. I do love tortillas. But, ever since our round of Whole30, and eating this bowl of goodness every single Tuesday, I am pretty sure we can all agree that this form of tacos is just what we all need.
It’s lighter, it’s got a ton of flavor, and soooooo dang delicious. I’ve been using my Cauliflower Spanish Rice as a base for so many dishes. A true weekly staple in our house. Add it to the bottom of this flavorful ground turkey, some fresh tomatoes and cilantro, and avocado to make the best taco bowl ever.
The turkey taco meat is anything but ordinary. I’ve mixed up my favorite blend of spices, and added in some tomato paste and apple cider vinegar for the extra tang and flavor. I love to use ground turkey as a substitution for ground beef, but beef is also delicious. Feel free to change it up. Although I do have to mention, Costco sells 1.5lb packages of organic ground turkey for less than $8, which is an absolute steal! This makes ground turkey a weekly addition to our dinner rotation.
The kids will eat all the fun stuff, but just wrap it up in a tortilla. They don’t really have any idea that the rice they eat is made from cauliflower. They just know it tastes delicious! Happy Taco Tuesday, and enjoy fixing up these bowls to please everyone!
Ground Turkey Taco Bowls with Cauliflower Spanish Rice
- For the tacos:
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder optional
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth may need an additional 1/4 cup
- For the cauliflower rice:
- 1 large head of cauliflower*
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ - ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Begin by making the taco meat. You can make the cauliflower rice while the taco meat is cooking, or cook the cauliflower rice ahead of time. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, then add in your ground turkey or beef. Continue to stir so the meat cooks evenly.
- While the meat is cooking, in a small bowl mix together all of your spices (chili powder through salt or chipotle powder). Once meat is no longer pink, add in your spices. Coat the meat with spices. Now mix in tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Bump up the heat just a tad and continue to mix everything until spices and liquid is evenly cooked. Reduce temperature to medium low. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes until most of the liquid is completely absorbed.
- For the Cauliflower Spanish Rice:
- Cut your cauliflower in half and in half again. Remove stem and discard. Chop the head of the cauliflower into chunks (1-2 inch pieces). Place inside a food processor and pulse. You probably need to do this in 2-3 batches. Between each batch, remove and set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet to medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in riced cauliflower, salt, and cumin. Stir around the veggie mixture to coat.
- Add in tomato paste, then ¼ cup broth, and bump up heat to medium high. continue to stir around until the tomato paste dissolves in the mixture. If the mixture is too dry, add in more broth by the tablespoon. If the mixture is slightly wet, continue to cook until the liquid dissolves.
- Make your taco bowls:
- Assemble the cauliflower rice on the bottom, then top with taco meat. Add in all of your favorite toppings: tomatoes, avocados, green onion, cilantro, salsa, lettuce, cheese, etc.
*You can also use Trader Joe's frozen Organic Cauliflower in place of a large head of cauliflower. Follow the same instructions on heating.