Let your Slow Cooker or Instant Pot do all the work for you in this flavorful soup packed with veggies and sausage! So easy with very little prep time.
I absolutely love my Instant Pot. Do you have one yet? I use it often on super busy days when I don’t have time to even start and prep my slow cooker. Recently my girlfriend was telling me she loves her slow cooker, but she doesn’t even think about dinner until like 6:00. By then it’s too late to start dinner in the slow cooker! I told her the Instant Pot is the answer to that First World Problem. Take, for example, this soup. From start to finish it took less than 30 minutes. It also properly cooked the vegetables, something that would take at least an hour on the stovetop. Best of all, LOW MAINTENANCE!!!!!
No worries if you only have a Slow Cooker, I’ve given you directions for that too. But perhaps the Instant Pot makes it’s way on to your Christmas list or birthday list?? Here is the one that I use and LOVE. Now let’s talk about this super easy and yummy soup……
I have another variation of this soup in the Slow Cooker that I also love: Slow Cooker Sausage and Tortellini Soup with Kale. It’s one of my most popular recipes, but I often get people to ask me how to adapt the recipe to certain dietary restrictions. So I’ve replaced the tortellini with sweet potatoes and mushrooms, and this soup is white wine based without tomatoes. It’s ridiculously yummy. The fresh herbs and white wine provide a ton of flavor. I also have to talk a bit about the kale. You may know that I don’t love kale, but I love to mix up my nutrients and throw it in soup. Even if you’re a kale hater, TRY IT HERE!!! It’s yummy mixed in this soup. Fresh kale works best, and add it toward the end of cooking so it doesn’t get too mushy.
You can top with parmesan cheese if that’s not restricted for you; my kids go nuts in the cheese department. We actually had plenty of leftovers for lunch for a few days which is an added bonus!!
I hope you enjoy!!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or pork sausage
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, skinned and chopped
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine*
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus extra to taste
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme (optional)
- For the Instant Pot:
- Select the saute function on your instant pot. Let it heat up (about 2 minutes). Add olive oil to coat the pot, and toss in ground sausage. Cook until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, mushrooms, chicken broth, wine, vinegar, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Secure the lid.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Select cancel and use a quick release.
- Open lid and add kale. Let cook with lid open for another 3-4 minutes, or until kale is softened but not wilted. Add additional salt if needed. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
- For the Slow Cooker:
- Heat up a large skillet to medium high heat. Coat your pan with olive oil and add sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, then add in onion and garlic and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Place sausage mixture in your slow cooker. Add sweet potatoes, mushrooms, chicken broth, white wine, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours.
- At the end of 4 hours, add kale and stir. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until kale has softened.
- Serve hot with fresh thyme.