Set it and forget it with this super easy lime infused slow cooker teriyaki chicken!! This Paleo and Gluten Free dinner will become a new favorite easy weeknight meal.
It’s baseball season around here which means the whole family is out of the house from 4:30-7:00 three nights a week. Slow cooker recipes to the rescue! There is no other way for me to get real food on the table for dinner time without the slow cooker or my Instant Pot. We use it at least 2 days per week, sometimes more, and on the other days enjoy leftovers.
I am sure many of you have days similar to mine. This lime teriyaki chicken is SUPER DUPER simple for those busy weeknights. It really only takes a few minutes to whisk together the marinade and pour over the chicken. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours. That’s it! Serve with your favorite vegetables over a salad, rice, or maybe with my Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
Just a few other notes about this recipe: I almost always naturally sweeten my dishes with honey instead of using refined sugar. I love the way honey also adds a sticky and thicker texture to this dish. The teriyaki sauce will have a runny texture that unless you use a thickening agent. I use arrowroot starch to thicken the dish, but you are welcome to leave it thinner. Serve with some chopped green onion and/or cilantro over rice or cauliflower rice. Serve with your favorite vegetables!
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Lime Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup Tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch (mix with 2 tbsp water
- For your Slow Cooker:
- Place the chicken in your slow cooker.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients (not the arrowroot) in a small bowl.
- Pour marinade over chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Add arrowroot and water, and mix into sauce. Let thicken.
- Shred chicken with a fork.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or in a salad. Garnish with optional cilantro and green onion.
- For your Instant Pot:
- Select the saute function on your Instant Pot. Once hot, add a bit of oil to cover the bottom of the pot. Saute onions for 2-3 minutes, select cancel.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients: garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, vinegar, lime, lime zest, honey, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes if using,
- Place chicken inside your Instant Pot on top of onion. Pour sauce on top of chicken. Secure the lid and select the manual function. Cook for 7 minutes. Once cooking is complete, use a quick release. Be sure that all steam is released before opening your Instant Pot.
- Open the lid, add arrowroot/water mixture. Stir and let thicken for a few extra minutes.
- Shred chicken and serve over rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or salad.