Curry spiced ground turkey meatballs smothered in a delicious creamy red curry coconut sauce that is sure to be your new favorite meal! Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, and Paleo too!
These meatballs you guys. I’ve been thinking about them non-stop. Part of the reason is that EVERY PERSON in my family keeps asking me if we’re having these for dinner again. Mr. Wholesomelicious has now claimed these as his new favorite dinner. And just to give you some perspective, he’s had the same favorite dinner for over 5 years. For him to de-throne that meal, and place this one at the very top, really says something about how tasty these are. Forget the typical spaghetti and meatballs in my house, my kids now want these instead. The coconut red curry sauce is so perfectly spiced that it’s impossible to leave the dinner table with any ounce of it left on the plate.
To start, you will mix together a quick blend a few spices, some almond meal, and fresh basil to your ground turkey and sausage. Just a few notes about the meat. I use a blend of ground turkey and ground turkey sausage. The sausage can be difficult to find, and even more difficult to find without sugar or other additives. So keep that in mind when shopping, or use plain grass-fed ground beef and pork. Roll them into small balls, and place them in the oven. This will make A LOT; I think it made about 45 meatballs for us. Which was a good thing because we absolutely needed those leftovers. Place them on a large baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. While the meatballs are baking, whip up the sauce in a large skillet. Once the meatballs are done, add to the sauce:
I had planned on making these all in one skillet, but decided it would be easier to bake with the amount of meat that I had. I then topped with fresh basil and served over spaghetti squash. My kids wanted this over regular pasta, which they absolutely loved. These meatballs can also be served over rice or cauliflower rice. The sauce tasted even better the next day!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage*
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground basil
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 14 oz can + ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375.
- MIx together the ground turkey and sausage in a medium sized bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix together curry powder, basil, ginger, garlic powder, and almond flour. Add to the and incorporate well. Finally, add the egg. Form the meatballs into 1 -1.5 inch diameter balls, and place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, make the sauce. Heat a large skillet to medium high heat, add coconut oil. Add the chopped veggies: onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onion is translucent. Add curry paste, than all of the coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes until the curry paste is completely mixed into the sauce. Add salt, and more to taste if needed.
- Add meatballs to the sauce, and cook for another 5 minutes. Finish off with fresh basil.
- Serve hot over Spaghetti squash, noodles, zoodles, rice, or cauliflower rice.