These Pizza Meatballs are exactly what you need for game day snacks, a healthy and kid friendly dinner, or just when you want a low carb version of everyone’s favorite food. Dip these fun bites in some marinara sauce, or serve over a bed of noodles for a fun dinner! You’ll love that you can make these meatballs ahead of time or for meal prep. Toss them into the oven or your air fryer; instructions for both!
A fun new way to eat meatballs!
Meatballs are my favorite way to enjoy some of my favorite foods. Curry Meatballs, Satay Meatballs, Enchilada Meatballs, Moroccan Meatballs, I feel like we do it right over here in the Wholesomelicious kitchen.
I love meatballs for so many reasons:
- Bite sized portions that pack in flavor
- Easy to make ahead and enjoy when you’re ready
- Perfect for meal prep
- So versatile! Serve with just sauce, or make your meal around it
As I was busy preparing my Super Bowl menu this year, I realized we were in need of something with pizza flavor. Pizza meatballs it is!
I’ve combined some of our favorite pizza flavors in one bite: Italian sausage, diced up pepperoni, Italian seasoning, and even parmesan cheese if you’re feeling fancy! Bake them up (or air fry), and dip inside your favorite sauce. You guys are going to love these!
How to make Pizza Meatballs:
We will need these ingredients:
- Italian Sausage
- ground beef or turkey
- diced up pepperoni
- almond flour or bread crumbs (you can also use my favorite Italian Nut Crumbs!)
- Italian seasoning
- pinch of sea salt
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- marinara for serving!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dice up the pepperoni
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage, ground beef or turkey, pepperoni, egg, almond flour (or nut crumbs/bread crumbs), Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese (if using) and pinch of salt. Mix really well with your hands to incorporate.
- Form into two inch balls. I use a cookie scoop to do this. Place each ball on the cookie sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes (should be golden brown)
- Serve hot alongside marinara sauce!
You can serve these a few ways. As an appetizer that you dip into marinara sauce, or as part of your meal with marinara sauce and pasta or vegetable noodles. My favorite marinara is store bought Rao’s marinara that has minimal ingredients.
You can make ahead, store in the fridge, and gently reheat at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. These are also perfect for freezing! In fact, they make such a huge batch that you may want to store half of them in the freezer. Thaw at room temperature, then gently re-heat in the oven at 300 degrees.
Can these be made in the Air Fryer?
Yes, definitely! I did make a batch in the air fryer and loved it this way. It does cook faster (13 minutes at 390 degrees), but it will require you to make in batches. Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket.
Are these Paleo, Whole30, and Keto?
Check labels for sugar in the sausage, or nitrates in your pepperoni and avoid these ingredients. Also, use nut crumbs or the almond flour as a low carb version. They are Keto compliant with or without the parmesan cheese. These are Paleo and Whole30 as long as you omit the parmesan cheese.
The Perfect Game Day snack!
Even if we can’t always agree on which football team to cheer for, or if we even want to watch any football at all, we can all agree on football as a culinary genre. Any excuse to enjoy appetizers and snacks with our favorite football flavors! I love these as an option, and if you are looking for some other game day snacks, here are a few of my favorites:
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tots
- Asian Chili Garlic Chicken Wings
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup diced up pepperoni
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (for serving)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour with Italian seasoning and sea salt.
In a large bowl, combine the sausage, turkey, pepperoni, almond flour combo, egg, and parmesan cheese (if using). Using your hands, mix well so everything is well incorporated.
Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form the mixture into 2 inch round balls. Place on the baking sheet (they can be very close together so the meatballs all fit).
Transfer to the oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top.
Serve hot with marinara sauce for dipping.
*You can also use nut crumbs (Italian flavor) in place of the almond flour mixture.