Now that berries are in season, I’ll be using them frequently in recipes! I decided to do a little twist on typical banana bread by lightening it up, adding some oats and chia seeds, and a spring or summer time taste of ripe berries. I suppose you could also use frozen berries during the offseason. This makes for a nice weekend breakfast treat. It also can be frozen to be used eaten again later in the week! My freezer stash of breakfast items comes in handy when we’re on the go. The other day we had a 8am flight to the UK, and had to leave the house at 5:30am. I grabbed half of this loaf on our way out the door. By the time we boarded our plane, the family was able to enjoy this instead of expensive and not so healthy airport food. It is delicious warmed up with butter, but is also still very tasty at room temperature.
Hello delicious fresh fruit!
Banana Berry Oat Bread
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh strawberries chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk I used flax milk in this recipe
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan (I use a coconut oil spray)
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix oil, bananas, sugar, egg, greek yogurt, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined.
- Fold in berries and chia seeds.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes
This bread will stay fresh for a few days, but it is best to freeze the leftovers.