For those busy weeknights when you are craving comfort but want ultimate ease, Instant Pot Creamy Mustard Herb Chicken will do the trick! The creamy decadent sauce pairs so well with tender chicken. Less than 15 minutes of prep time, and you can have dinner on the table. No Instant Pot? Options for the Slow Cooker as well!
Me and my Instant Pot are in a very good relationship right now. I’ve been using it non-stop this busy season! Whether it be healthy soup recipes, or just my tried and true Salsa Verde Chicken for tacos, Instant Pot recipes have been on repeat.
Something about the cooler weather gets me all excited to make more comfort food recipes. This Creamy Mustard Herb Chicken was developed after a craving I was having for creamy food. With some leftover fresh herbs in my fridge, I set to work on a perfect sauce. This one combines apple cider, white wine, my favorite dijon mustard, fresh thyme and rosemary, I mean, you can’t go wrong with this flavor combo!!
As a nutritionist, I am always trying to balance eating all the foods and satisfying my cravings in a way that makes my body feel good. This recipe is one of those! I have included a dairy-base here with Boursin cheese, but on days where I am not sure how my body will react to dairy, I can switch it up with full fat coconut cream. So I’ve given you both options below!
How to make Creamy Mustard Herb Chicken
Let’s gather up our simple ingredients!
- Chicken thighs (can also use chicken breast)
- Fresh herbs
- Sea salt and pepper
- Cooking oil like avocado oil or olive oil
- White wine: use a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio
- Apple cider
- Boursin Cheese or full fat coconut milk
- Prepare your chicken. Mix together the mustard and herbs, brush all over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot, and once hot, coat with oil. Place the chicken in the IP and saute until lightly browned on each side (just a few minutes). Select cancel.
- Pour the wine and apple cider in the bottom of the pot, use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom to make sure nothing is sticking! This will prevent the burn signal. Now top the mixture with sliced shallots. Secure the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes and use a quick release.
- Remove the lid, and stir in Boursin cheese or coconut cream. Serve!!
Slow Cooker Variation
Brush the mustard and herb mixture over the chicken and place inside the slow cooker (you do not need to saute). Cover with shallots, wine, and apple cider. Set the slow cooker to 6 hours on low. At the 5.5 hour mark, stir in the Boursin cheese (or coconut cream) and stir.
Adaptations and swaps:
- Chicken thighs: you can use chicken breast in it’s place!
- Mustard: I used dijon mustard, but feel free to use stone ground mustard or even yellow mustard.
- Herbs: Use your favorite fresh herbs. I used fresh thyme and rosemary. Sage is also a great option!
- Wine: Use a dry white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc. You can also omit the wine and use chicken broth.
- Apple Cider: This can also be swapped out with more wine or chicken broth. I just love the hint of sweetness it adds to the tangy mustard sauce!
- Boursin Cheese: for a dairy-free option, use coconut cream or full fat canned coconut milk.
Is this recipe Paleo, Whole30, Keto Friendly?
Yes. You can omit the Boursin cheese and use coconut cream to make it Paleo friendly. In addition, use chicken broth in place of white wine and apple cider to make this recipe Keto and Whole30 friendly.
THE INSTANT POT THAT AIR FRIES: From the makers of the best-selling Duo series comes a pressure cooker and air fryer combo, with 2 convenient removable lids.
Instant Pot Creamy Mustard Herb Chicken
This Creamy Mustard Herb Chicken is decadent and delicious! So simple to make with less than 15 minutes of prep time. This delicious dinner can be made in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Fresh herbs finely chopped (like rosemary and thyme)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine*
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider**
- 5 oz Boursin Cheese*** (or dairy-free option below)
Prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, stir together the dijon mustard and fresh herbs. If too thick, stir in a tsp of avocado oil or olive oil. Brush the mixture over the chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat the bottom of the pot with oil. Add the chicken, and lightly brown on both sides (just a few minutes per side is all that is needed). Select the cancel function.
Pour in the wine and apple cider. Use a wooden spoon and scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to prevent the burning function. Top the chicken with sliced shallots. Secure the lid.
Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Once complete, use a quick release. When steam has all been released, remove the lid. Stir in the Boursin cheese or coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot over rice, cauliflower rice, pasta, or potatoes. Spoon extra sauce over the chicken!
*Use a sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. You can also use chicken broth in its place.
**You can use extra wine or chicken broth in place of apple cider
***For a dairy-free variation, use canned coconut cream.