If there is ever a “go-to” side dish to keep in your back pocket, Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes would be it! Simple, quick, and so smooth and creamy. Just a handful of ingredients is all you need! Options for dairy-free and Paleo are also included.
As we approach another Thanksgiving, I can’t think of a better way to save space in my oven and stovetop then by using my Instant Pot! I have officially decided this is the absolute best way to make mashed potatoes. After years of making mashed potatoes on the stove, I actually prefer the taste of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
Rich, decadent, creamy, and so ridiculously easy. I love that you can also doctor them up with additional flavors and ingredients. Loaded mashed potatoes? Why not toss in some bacon and chives. So many possibilities!
Grab your gravy ladles and slice up your holiday turkey, and let’s get started on your new favorite way to make potatoes!
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
You will only need a handful of ingredients to make these easy potatoes. Substitutions for dairy-free are included!
- Yukon Gold potatoes: I love the buttery and creamy texture of Yukon Gold. Sure, you can also use Russet potatoes, but my personal preference is definitely Yukon Gold.
- Garlic cloves: We will keep them whole instead of mincing, super simple in this recipe! They can also be omitted, but why would you do that?!?!
- Chicken or vegetable broth: I love the addition of flavoring the water the potatoes cook in.
- Sea salt: Because we do need to salt our potatoes with the best! You can keep them low sodium by using a high quality sea salt like Himalayan pink salt.
- Butter or ghee: Definitely a must for mashed potatoes. Use ghee for a Paleo/Whole30 variation
- Milk: You can use regular milk or an unflavored dairy-free milk like almond milk. Also a must for that creamy version!
- Fresh herbs: I love thyme and chives in here. But rosemary would also be delicious!
- Begin by peeling and dicing the potatoes. You want them to all be the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Place the potatoes and peeled whole garlic cloves in the Instant Pot. Pour the broth on top and secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Do a quick release and remove the lid.
- No need to drain the broth! Place the butter in the Instant Pot, then pour in the milk. The best thing to do with the milk is to warm it up a bit so that the potatoes soak it up better. Use a potato masher, immersion blender, or kitchen mixer (my personal favorite method) to whip up the potatoes and smooth it out.
I love the way these are so simple to make. No draining water involved, no steam basket in the Instant Pot required. Just toss it altogether and let the IP do it’s magic!
Storing and Reheating:
These potatoes will hold up well in the fridge for up to 4 days. To re-heat, gently splash with a bit of milk and cook on the stovetop or in the microwave. You can also use a double boiler and cook in a bowl over boiling water to prevent burning.
So many recipes to make these mashed potatoes with:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1/2 cup milk*
- fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary (optional)
Peel and cut the potatoes. Place inside the Instant Pot with garlic cloves. Pour the broth and sea salt on top and secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then use a quick release.
After removing the lid, place butter and warmed up milk in the Instant Pot. Using a potato masher, immersion blender, or hand mixer, mash and whip the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
Serve warm with added fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
*Use a dairy-free milk, like unflavored almond milk for a dairy-free option