Instant Pot Pepperoncini Chicken is here for those days you when you need to jazz up your weeknight dinner rotation! Tangy pepperoncinis help to make your chicken juicy, while some ranch seasoning provides a nice flavor bomb. The perfect compliment! File this dinner under, things to make when I am in a rush or dishes that don’t require much thinking. The whole family will love the flavor profile! Paleo, Whole30, and Keto Friendly.
I have been smitten with pepperoncinis since the young age of 8 (?? maybe??). All I know that any early memory of my childhood eating habits includes me wanting jars of pepperoncinis. I remember walking home from school and stopping by the grocery store on the way home and buying a jar. It’s really bizarre if I think spend too much time thinking about it…..
And then there was the time when I was pregnant, and I would come home from grocery shopping with 3 large jars that I polished off before the week was over. Oh yes, it’s definitely a food I can claim is one of my all time favorites. It only seemed appropriate that we finally get a recipe up on the blog that is centered around this deliciously crunchy and tangy pepper.
Recently, a friend of mine told me she made Mississippi Pot Roast that her kids loved. I had actually never heard of it, but when she told me it contained pepperoncinis and their juice, I knew immediately this was a flavor profile I could get on board with. So after looking at the recipe, I figured this would make a great dinner with chicken!
And soooooo…… Pepperoncini Chicken in the Instant Pot was born. Technically we can call it, Mississippi Chicken. But because I had never heard of it/tried it other than my own variation, it feels a little disingenuous. We’ll stick with my Wholesomelicious name of Pepperoncini Chicken.
How to make Instant Pot Pepperoncini Chicken:
Let’s gather up these simple ingredients:
- Chicken breast or thighs (boneless and skinless for either one)
- salt and pepper
- garlic cloves, minced
- Ranch seasoning (either homemade or store bought, see below for my homemade seasoning)
- Jar of pepperoncinis
- butter or ghee
- chicken broth
- optional arrowroot starch to thicken (omit for keto)
- Select the saute function on the IP. Salt and pepper the chicken breast. Once hot, coat the bottom of your pot with about 1 tbsp of cooking oil (I use avocado oil). Add the chicken breast and saute for about 2 minutes on one side, then flip over and add the minced garlic. Saute for about 1 more minute. Select cancel.
- Pour in Pepperoncini juice to help deglaze the pan. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure there are no more browned bits.
- Top the chicken with ranch seasoning, butter (or ghee), pepperoncinis, and chicken broth.
- Secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use a quick release. Shred the chicken with a fork. If you want to thicken the sauce for serving, remove 3 tbsp of the liquid and mix with 1 tbsp of arrowroot. Pour back into the pot and stir to thicken.
Homemade Ranch Seasoning:
If you would like to make your own ranch seasoning, here is mine. You can easily double or quadruple the amount, but you will only need 3 tablespoons for this recipe:
- dried parsley (2 tbsp)
- onion powder, garlic powder, and dill weed (2 tsp each)
- dried onion flakes, dried chives (1 tsp each)
- sea salt (1/2 tsp)
- black pepper (1/2 tsp)
Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, or mashed potatoes. You can also top with fresh herbs like thyme or parsley. This chicken is also perfect for meal prep and can be easily re-heated throughout the week and enjoyed over greens or even in a wrap.
Try with either of these delicious side dishes:
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, in the freezer for up to one month.
Can you make this in the Slow Cooker?
YES! I made this recipe both ways, and definitely liked the slow cooker version. Do saute the chicken on the stove before adding to the the slow cooker. Top with the pepperoncini juice, ranch dressing, and butter. You will not need more than 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Cook on low for 4 hours.
Instant Pot Pepperoncini Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breast*
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup pepperoncini juice
- 1 cup pepperoncinis**
- 3 tbsp ranch dressing mix***
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Salt and pepper your chicken breast. Once the pot is hot, add oil to the bottom of the pot. Saute the chicken for 2 minutes on one side, then flip over and toss in the minced garlic at the same time. Cook for about 1 more minute. Select cancel.
Add the pepperoncini juice to the pot and deglaze any browned bits with a spatula or wooden spoon. Top the chicken with pepperoncinis, ranch seasoning/dressing mix, butter, and chicken broth. Secure the lid.
Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once cook time is complete, use a quick release. Remove the lid and shred the chicken before serving. If you would like to thicken the sauce, use 1 tbsp of arrowroot starch and mix with 3 tbsp of cooking liquid. Pour back into the dish and stir until thickened.
*Use boneless/skinless chicken breast. You can also use boneless/skinless thighs.
**Remove the stems on the pepperoncinis. You can slice them up or leave whole. You can also use banana peppers in their place (they are sweeter).
***Use store bought ranch dressing mix (envelope), or make your own. See my recipe in the blog post for an easy homemade mix.