Pickle lovers are going to fall in love with this Chopped Dill Pickle Salad! You’ll go crazy over the crunch of pickles, radishes, greens, and sunflower seeds. But the best part, is a creamy dill pickle dressing! Quick and fresh, but also so delicious.
Chopped salad recipes are one of my absolute favorite meals! We eat salads everyday in our household year-round. The entire family can always get on board with my chopped house salad recipe, and during warm weather months, salads are often the main course.
As a nutritionist, I ensure that salads are a part of our menu every day. They load up on antioxidants with greens, it’s a great way to incorporate fiber, and the dressing is always a good source of healthy fats.
This Dill Pickle Chopped Salad is no different! We start with a bed of greens and top with crunchy ingredients like diced radish, sunflower seeds, green onion, cucumber, and pickles. Such a delicious mix of textures, but also packing in nutrients! The creamy dressing uses a base of avocado and pickle juice. It is dreamy and amazing!
Dill Pickle Chopped Salad Ingredients:
- Mixed greens: I like to use the combo of romaine and arugula for flavor and crunch! Be sure to chop it finely. I use this amazing salad chopper to get my lettuce exactly how I want it.
- Radish: I added in radish for a little kick, plus I love the crunch and added nutritional benefits of antioxidants.
- Cucumbers and pickles: More crunch here! And the addition of dill pickle slices enhances the salad, but is also optional
- Sunflower seeds: are the perfect addition to sneak in some additional vitamin E, and salty crunchy texture. You could also substitute here with a different type of nut like almonds.
- Green onion: for additional greens, and a little spice.
Combine all of these ingredients in a large bowl. And next we’ll top with the dressing!
Creamy Dill Pickle Dressing
This amazing dill pickle dressing is the star of this dish! I am absolutely in love with how it turned out. We use a base of avocado to give it the creamy texture you will love. Here are the ingredients you need:
- Pickle Juice
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- Garlic Powder
- Fresh dill
- Chopped pickles
All you do is toss the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and smooth!
Tips and Variations for this salad
- I used Trader Joe’s Cornichons because I absolutely love the flavor. If you are a dill pickle connoisseur, use your personal favorite brand of pickles and pickle juice. If you are not sure, Claussen pickles are also a great brand!
- Add in some protein like grilled chicken, Lemon pepper salmon, crumbled bacon, or even hardboiled eggs.
- Feta cheese is also a fantastic addition that adds in some salt, protein, and creaminess.
- Want to make it a pasta salad? It would be a fantastic pasta salad! I would use fusilli pasta.
- Substitute any of the veggies with your own personal preference. Shredded cabbage or slaw also makes a fantastic base. The radishes can also be omitted or substituted with cauliflower or bell pepper.
Making ahead and storing
This dill pickle salad is not one you want to make ahead and let sit. If you are prepping to serve to company, you can chop the salad ingredients and assemble the salad (leave out the sunflower seeds until ready to serve). However, you can make the dressing in advance. I would not make it more than one day in advance for ultimate freshness.
You can store the dressing for up to 5 days, although it tastes best served when enjoyed within the 1-2 day time frame.
Other Salads you will love!
- Three-Bean Salad
- Mango and Blueberry Spinach Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Zucchini Noodle Italian “Pasta” Salad
- Cilantro Lime Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
Quick and Fresh Chopped Dill Pickle Salad
Chopped Dill Pickle Salad comes together so easily with just a handful of ingredients, and a delicious creamy dill pickle dressing! Less than 20 minutes is all you need to make this delicious and fresh salad.
For the Salad:
- 3 cups finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups finely chopped arugula
- 4 large radishes (sliced and diced)
- 3 green onion diced
- 2/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced pickles
For the dressing:
- 1.5 cups pickle juice
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp garlic powder
Combine the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
Make the dressing by adding pickle juice, avocado, dill, and garlic powder into a food processor or blender. While motor is running and dressing is blending, pour in oil until nice and creamy.
Pour dressing on top of salad and toss. Serve with additional fresh dill if desired.