Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Chicken is a very simple and delicious dinner for busy weeknights! Let your slow cooker do all the work; prep time for this dish is less than 5 minutes! Kid friendly and gluten-free.
I am introducing you to my kids’ favorite crockpot meal. If there is one food they love more than tacos, it’s peanut butter chicken. The peanut sauce is slightly sweet, a little acidic, and will leave your house smelling AhhhhhMAZING! You will love the way the chicken tenderizes and can even shred to create the most delicious bowl of goodness.
Short on time? This recipe is perfect. If your weeknights are super busy like ours, dinner can be ready with very little prep time.
Want to call this recipe tacos and wrap in a tortilla? Another great idea!
How to make Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Chicken:
Start by gathering up chicken breast (or thighs) with a handful of pantry ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- chicken breast or thighs
- peanut butter (smooth or crunchy, your preference! You can also use another nut butter)
- Gluten-free Tamari Sauce, coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- rice vinegar (you can sub with apple cider vinegar)
- chicken broth
- garlic cloves
- cilantro for serving
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- lime juice (optional)
All you need to do is stir the peanut sauce ingredients (peanut butter, coconut aminos, honey, rice vinegar, chicken broth, and garlic), throw in your chicken breast, hit start, and be on your way.
It’s that easy you guys!
Serving and Storing:
Serve with some veggies over rice or cauliflower rice. My favorite companion is my oven Roasted Lemon and Garlic Broccoli.
Looking for a creamier option? Stir in 1/2 cup coconut milk!
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days (perfect for meal prep lunch), or freeze for up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Option:
You can make this recipe in the Instant Pot. You will need to increase the chicken broth to 3/4 cup.
Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Chicken
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup GF Tamari Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos I use low sodium GF Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place chicken breasts into your slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients: peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chicken broth, and garlic cloves. Sauce will be slightly lumpy, but make sure it's well incorporated. Pour on top of chicken.
Cook on low for about 4 hours or until chicken can easily shred.
Serve over rice with roasted vegetables and be sure to top your chicken with the sauce. Squeeze optional lime juice and cilantro on top.
Recipe adapted from Parade Magazine: Recipe Girl