This stack of Strawberry Banana Pancakes is a gluten-free and Paleo version that makes a healthy breakfast option! Bananas and strawberries add plenty of flavor to these fluffy pancakes along with a drizzle of maple syrup. Perfectly sweetened with the best texture!
The perfect pancakes!
I’ve been on a mission for a few months now to find the perfect pancake recipe. I’ll just start with a little confession. I don’t like pancakes. I am pretty much an eggs-only for breakfast kind of gal. Unfortunately, I’ve been the only one in my house enjoying eggs. My husband has needed a break from eggs, and my kids hardly ever eat eggs. What’s an egg lover to do? While I love my Blueberry Breakfast Bake and Instant Pot Berry Chia Porridge, my people were asking for pancakes.
As a nutritionist, I am adamant that breakfast should not be loaded with sugar, and have a healthy balance of protein and fat. Pancakes don’t necessarily qualify under these “rules”. Until now. I’ve loaded these pancakes with flavor using bananas and strawberries for sweetness, some protein using my favorite collagen, and a perfect blend of three different flours.
The kids and husband love pancakes. And the teenager is very excited about making pancakes, so we’ve been testing out a few recipes together. This one is our favorite!!
How to make Strawberry Banana Pancakes
These pancakes couldn’t be easier! Here are the ingredients you need:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Tapioca starch (flour)
- Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Collagen protein (optional)
- Ripe bananas
- Coconut oil
- Dairy-free milk
- Apple Cider vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- Maple syrup
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat, once hot, you can lower to medium.
- Begin by mixing together the dry ingredients in one large bowl: all 3 flours, baking soda, pinch of salt, cinnamon, and collagen (if using).
- Mash the eggs with a fork. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Now add in melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Batter will be thick!
- Add butter or use coconut oil to grease the skillet. Spoon the batter onto the hot skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, then flip.
- Top with strawberries and maple syrup to serve.
Tips and variations:
- Flours: you won’t be able to swap out flour measurements. I have only had success with the combo listed below! These make the ultimate fluffy pancakes and no one can tell they are GF and Paleo.
- Butter: for even tastier pancakes, use butter or ghee on the skillet or griddle in place of coconut oil. Or butter flavored coconut oil.
- Strawberries: Feel free to swap in your favorite berry in place of the strawberries
- Apple or pumpkin: Looking for a fall swap? Use applesauce in place of the coconut oil, and a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin. Top with diced cinnamon apples!
- Consistency: These pancakes will not have a runny consistency like most pancakes batters. Instead, the batter will be thick and you will have to spoon it on the hot pan. Press down to create a disc or circular shape.
Make ahead and store:
These pancakes can be made ahead and stored in the freezer or fridge! Simply store with in an air tight container with parchment paper in between each pancake.
Reheat by placing the pancakes on a single layer on a plate and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. If more time is needed, add an additional 30 seconds. Alternatively, place in the toaster or toaster oven at a lower setting for 2-3 minutes.
Strawberry Banana Pancakes
You'll love these Paleo Strawberry Banana Pancakes that have the fluffiest texture, and are perfectly sweetened!
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp collagen protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk almond, flax, cashew, etc.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (divided)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup optional
Heat a large skillet to medium – medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil to the pan to coat, or use butter.
In a medium size bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking soda, collagen, cinnamon, and kosher salt.
In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp coconut oil, vanilla, and mashed banana. Combine all ingredients until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry and continue to mix until well combined. Batter will be thick.
Spoon batter onto pan to and shape into 3-4 inch diameter discs or circles. Cook for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to continue adding more coconut oil to pan, after each batch of pancakes.
Top with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional).