Strawberry Basil Chicken is a simple weeknight dish bursting with tangy basil balsamic flavor! The entire dish comes together in less than 20 minutes, and one that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
[Standing on soapbox] Can we just take a moment here to recognize the sun that has finally decided to come out for the first time in like 10 days? I don’t know how you Pacific Northwesterners do it. Our bright and cheery May has been anything but cheery, and has put me in quite a grumpy mood. Didn’t I move from dreary and rainy Germany back to the sunny East Coast for a reason?!?! [off soapbox]
I feel better now. Part of the reason is that I’ve been enjoying berry season like it’s never coming back! From my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Brownies, to my Blueberry and Mango Spinach Salad with Basil Vinaigrette, and now this Strawberry Basil Chicken. I love to use fruit to dress up a savory dish, especially during the spring and summer. This strawberry chicken is perfect with the fresh basil, tangy balsamic, and sweet strawberries. The added fragrant garlic also compliment the dish!
This simple chicken is easily cooked on the stovetop for about 5 minutes per side. Alternatively, grilling the chicken and brushing it with olive oil and garlic beforehand, would also be delicious. While the chicken is cooking, chop up your strawberries and fresh basil. Toss with balsamic and olive oil, and place all of it on top of your chicken.
So you may be wondering what to serve as a side dish? I served mine on top of a bed of greens, and had a fantastic salad. I also spiralized some onions and cucumber for more crunch and texture. For the kids, they enjoyed the chicken with plain pasta, and my husband with some rice. Many options! Hope you all enjoy!
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze*
- Begin by heating a large skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic, cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Prepare your chicken breasts: you may need to pound the breast to make them a bit thinner, mine were approximately 1 inch. Salt and pepper each side, add to pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side (until golden brown, but cooked through). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Toss together strawberries, basil, balsamic and 1 tbsp olive oil. Top each chicken breast with strawberry mixture, and salt and pepper to taste. Add additional balsamic glaze or balsamic if needed. Serve immediately.