This Sausage and Cabbage Soup is comforting, cozy, hearty, and absolutely delicious! Loaded with veggies to include hearty potatoes for a filling soup to warm you up. This simple soup can be made in less than 40 minutes for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love!
I would like you all to know that I have made this soup 3 times this past month. It’s that good! Recently, I have been having a moment with sautéed cabbage. I love pairing it with a splash of apple cider and sea salt for a tangy side dish! As a nutritionist, I know that cabbage is such a fantastic vegetable to add to your diet. It’s loaded with nutrients like Vitamin C and K, plus a good dose of fiber!
I am sure you are getting the idea of the inspiration behind this soup. During cold weather months, we constantly turn to my library of healthy soup recipes. I love to create new soup recipes, and doing a veggie forward soup with slices of sausage became a concept I had to put in action!
I am happy to report, this soup is everything I wanted it to be. The smoky sausage and crunchy vegetables pair beautifully with a tangy, flavorful broth! I also love that the soup is so hands off and simple to throw together.
Ingredients to make this soup
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this soup!
- Kielbasa sausage or pre-cooked chicken sausage
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- Green cabbage
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Sausage and Cabbage Soup
You will absolutely love how easy this soup is to make! One pot and less than 45 minutes of total time is all you need.
- Start by prepping your ingredients. Dice up the veggies and slice the sausage
- Heat the pot to medium high and add oil, then brown the sausage. Remove the sausage, but keep the pot hot.
- Toss in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and cabbage. Saute for about 6 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Now add in the Italian seasoning, stock, vinegar, potatoes, and cooked sausage. Increase the temperature for a few minutes until a rolling boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cover with a lid.
- Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are softened. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot!
Serving and Storing
Serve this soup as is. It only needs a pinch of salt or pepper to taste! This pairs well with my Easy House Salad.
You can store this soup in the fridge for up to one week. Gently reheat over medium heat on the stovetop. You can also freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer friendly container.
Other Soup Recipes you will love!
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Mexican Street Corn Soup
- Vegetable Detox Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup (Dairy-Free)
Sausage and Cabbage Soup
This one-pot Sausage and Cabbage soup is hearty and healthy! Loaded with nutrients and delicious flavor. This is a simple dinner you can make in less than 40 minutes.
- 1 lb Kielbasa sausage*
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green cabbage or 1/2 large cabbage
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Begin by slicing your sausage into bite sized pieces. Prepare your vegetables by dicing the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes into small pieces. Slice the cabbage into bite sized pieces.
Meanwhile, heat a large soup pot to medium high heat. Once hot, coat the pot with oil. Then add in the sausage. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Set the sausage aside, and keep the pot hot.
Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and cabbage to the pot. Saute for 5 – 7 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Pour in the broth, vinegar, Italian seasoning, sausage, and top with potatoes.
Increase the temperature until the soup reaches a simmer, then reduce to medium low. Cover. Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
Serve and season with salt and pepper to taste.
*You can also use pre-cooked chicken sausage of choice